Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Possible...a lot of people don't know about 8" rear ends. When they see a removeable carrier in a Ford case...they assume its a 9". It could be one of the early housings, without taper on the tubes. I can't think of any ford housing that measured 52 1/4 in stock? The shortest I can recall is closer to 59" flange to flange

to nail down the 8 or 9 inch question, ask him for some measurements....

Don't have the carrier?
If you look at the top and bottom most bolts that hold the carrier to the housing with the housing horizontal as it would be in the car, an 8" measures about 8 7/8" center to center of those two bolts, and a 9" rear measures about 10" on those bolts.

http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/Fordrears.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 9/13/06 11:06pm ]</font>

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
You need allot more info. Axle housing bearing size, flange bolt pattern size, spring perch to perch distance and flange to flange measurement? Without all that, I wouldn't send my money over the border.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
On 2006-09-13 10:27, scottford351 wrote:
On a 9 inch, the bottom bolt has to be removed with a wrench.
If the bolt can be removed with a socket, its a 8 inch.
That's the easiest way to tell someone... if the 3rd member is in the housing. The auction is for housing only, with a big gaping hole where the 3rd member goes, so that method won't work to well in this case.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
On 2006-09-13 10:41, torinoracer wrote:
the item has been removed, yall guys really scared him off.
Nah...check again

Here

See what's up at FlowMotion

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: allenman85 on 9/14/06 1:50am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
That is a smooth back 9" rear end probably from a '57-'59 Ford passenger car. 52 1/4" would be the correct mwasurement on that particular housing. When assembled with axles it would measure 57 1/4" from the outside of axle flange to the outside of the axle flange which would be ideal for '65-'70 Mustangs, or the early Falcons and Comets. It could also possibly be a narrowed down early 60's truck housing. I have built dozens and dozens of those housings, and I can tell what it is just by looking at it. An 8" would not have the bigger axle tubes on it, they would taper down if it were an early housing.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I thought that too, that it might be a 57-59 fairlane housing. But I thought they were 59 1/2 inch? Plus, the way the picture is taken, couldn't get a good enough look at the back to make an honest guess.

I still think the best way to measure the bolt spread ...carrier to the housing with the housing horizontal as it would be in the car, an 8" measures about 8 7/8" center to center of those two bolts, and a 9" rear measures about 10" on those bolts.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
It does look like the 57-59 fairlane type housing, even has a drain plug.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Ranchero housing, it looks exactly like my 9"

Mine was a bolt in for my '67 stang.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thekingofazle on 9/14/06 7:31am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
9's are round, 8's are oval.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On 2006-09-13 18:18, retyler wrote:
thats why I was asking. In the picture of this housing, it looks oval to me. When I looked at a picture of a 8" gasket, it looked exactly like the opening of this housing

looks like flat spots on top and bottom like a 8

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
On 2006-09-13 18:20, pass1over wrote:
On 2006-09-13 18:18, retyler wrote:
thats why I was asking. In the picture of this housing, it looks oval to me. When I looked at a picture of a 8" gasket, it looked exactly like the opening of this housing

looks like flat spots on top and bottom like a 8
The 57-59 9" Ford opening is not perfectly round, but is more round than an 8". These are all 9 " rears:

The 57-59 9" Ford has the flat spot on bottom--mine came from a 59' and it looks exactly like the one in the pic, non-tapering axle tubes and a the drain plug.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts