Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
8" Rear end USELESS PARTS STORES!!!!!!!!!

Trying to get the pinion bearing setup on this 65 Mustang rear end.

NOBODY IN THE ENTIRE GODDAMMWORLD shows a listing for the crush sleeve.

All they show is the 7.25" and the 9" rear end applications in their computers and books. But that's moot because this is an 8" rear end for phuc sake!

I was told that the Napa part number NOE 7354269 is correct, but it is sofa-king large it fits the pinion on this 8" like your fathers wedding ring on a 3 year olds finger.

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOO FRUSTRATED I have no damn clue what to do!

**EDIT* I called EVERY shop in town and they are ALL OUT TO FEKING SEA frishing!!

SO I called one up in Everett, it's the SAME crush sleeve as in a Dana 35 in the 95 Jeep Wrangler...

Napa don't even have a damn LISTING for crush sleeve for it... Goddammitt I can't get any damn work done this feking week and it's FEKING frustrating!

fek fek fek phuc fek! :( :( :( :(

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Re: 8" Rear end USELESS PARTS STORES!!!!!!!!!

C8OZ-4662 is the Ford part number!

J3175779 is the Chrysler part number..... Nobody has one locally...

NOS parts warehouse has one for $2.77 plus shipping.... :(
got the old c/s ? reuse it. done it many times on non hi-performance

expand the c/r or shim it

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Dorman 81055, Yukon YSPCS-010, or Power Torque 721A034. About $4. Most sleeves are used in multiple applications. In this case, it fits the Dana 35, Chrysler 7.25" and 8.25", Ford 8", and BW/GM 7.75". It should measure about 1/2" (.495) long. Same as the Ford 7.5/9/9.x/10.x, etc., but a bit smaller ID. Other sleeves with a close ID can work but you may have to trim down. I looked at the Timken and SKF bearings, and they have different inner race lips. Apparently that's what is keeping you from using the common Ford sleeve.

If I have some appropriate steel stock laying around here, I could make you one, but since it's available in regional warehouses (O'Reilly says 24 hours or less), it would be simpler to order it in.

David

·
Registered
10,327 Posts

That is also do-able. I would go for the shim option if you have an appropriate shim on-hand or local. .010 to .020" or so should be plenty. Otherwise order it in for tomorrow. You could roll it on a mandrel and stretch it with a body hammer I suppose. Never needed to try that myself. Dan - how did you stretch yours?

David

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I thought about doing that. It's relatively simple to stretch it back out just like re-shaping a wedding band on some round stock basically, but I don't know if the fatiguing of the metal will take 170 Ft LBS of torque before the pre-load is adjusted.

I tighten the pinion nut more than 10 ft lbs and the pinion locks up tight :(

I ordered the Chrysler Dana 35 unit, FOMOCO has it listed as obsolete.

I figure to hell with it and the 2 day's lost work. I started in on cleaning up and inspecting the top loader I'm putting in it, and it's keeping me happy today :)

·
Banned
6,355 Posts

That is also do-able. I would go for the shim option if you have an appropriate shim on-hand or local. .010 to .020" or so should be plenty. Otherwise order it in for tomorrow. You could roll it on a mandrel and stretch it with a body hammer I suppose. Never needed to try that myself. Dan - how did you stretch yours?

David
just a hammer and the spacer on the pinion gear.

tap the spacert then rotate 180 then 90 then 180 then 45* till it measures even . never a failure.
plus works for performance 8" units. spacer is'nt the weak link on those units

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

Thanks guys. I got one coming monday for $8 bucks from Chrysler for the dana 35 in the Cherokees. It'll do :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts