Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran at the track this weekend and this was the first time I used my nitrous kit (100hp shot). Unfortunately, it resulted in bent spring perches on my 8" rearend. I'll defintely need to replace these, but all I can find is perches for 3" diameter axles. My 8" has the smaller diameter tubing where the U-bolts engage.

Does anyone know of a source for spring perches which will fit this smaller diameter (sorry, I haven't had a chance to measure the actual diameter yet)? Or will I be forced to possibly build some or buy a used rearend housing to swap everything into?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You are referring to the plates and not the actual perches on the rear end housing right?
What I did before I upgraded to my 9 inch perches was weld a plate on the bottom of the perch and re-drill the holes... it added strength to the wimpy factory plates.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The perches I see from companies like Moroso have the entire assembly which has the rounded cut-out so it can be welded directly to the 3" axle housing. I can't use these because mine is smaller than 3".

Are you saying that just the plate (i.e. the portion which rides on the leaf spring) can be cut off and replaced? If so, that might be a possibility. I'll have to look to see if the vertical portion of this mount is still intact.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I did the same thing to my car years ago. I ended up welding some flat plate to the bottom off the perch then milling it off at the original perch angle. The plate ends up being a wedge shape filling in the bent portion of the perch. Then I reinforced things by welding steel plates from the housing tubes to the rear of the perches.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I did the same thing on mine years ago as well, just replaced the whole housing, at the time i got a housing for $35 from the pick and pay. It was was 10+years ago though.....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. My son-in-law is a welder, so I'll see if he can help me replace and reinforce the mounting surface of the perches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts