Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ….. and thnx for your input …..

In talking to a friend about my Mustang project he said I should consider replacing my 8” rear end with a 9” rear end and look for something with rear disc brakes. My ’65 came with the sport pack and rally pack (front disc and the Tac/Clock Combo on the column) so I’m set for the fronts.

First … Is this something I should consider?

Second ….. Is there a specific make & model Ford/Merc that I can pull this from that will bolt in with little or no modification… Like a older Maverick?

Third …. Should I do anything with the gearing if/when I get it?

I'm sorry if my questions are elementry but I am prety new to this stuff. I just want to do it right....
Again Thanks!!!!
-Mark

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well I maybe able to help on one question the 8" or 9". You need to know how much horsepower you intend on pushing if it is considerable then maybe find a 9" rear. I'm sure some other guys here can help with the exact figures and the places to look for this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to run an 8 inch trac lock with 3.25 gears and never had any trouble with it, but I saw more power and a manual transmission in the future so I decided to step up to the 9 inch. There are numerous places that you can find 9 inch rears for 65-66 Mustangs. I believe the 57 ford 9 inch is a bolt in along with some of the Lincoln Versaille or Granada 9 inch rears. However, these rears often fetch a pretty penny, at least here in the seattle area. After finding a few lincoln rearends with 2.50-2.80 gears, worn out disk brakes, and no posi selling for $300-$500, I figured I was better off just ordering a housing from Currie, plus I knew I was getting a heavy duty housing from them along with a drain plug to make life easier. My current 3rd member has 3.50 gears and a US gear 4 pinion posi, which is a lot tighter than the 2 pinion in my old 8 inch. If your car sees the freeway often and you don't have an overdrive transmission on the way, I would not go with any steeper gears than the 3.50's. I pull about 3000-3200 RPM's keeping up with traffic (60-70mph).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Your 65 8" should handle 300-350hp. A 67 up 8" is good to around 400hp. Don't go to the 9" unless you are over about 350hp and will race. (The 67+ 8" has an additional rib across the front making it stronger. The Fordmuscle people run high 11's with an 8". Go look in the web site)

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I concur with most of the posts regarding the inherent strength of the 8". It can easily handle up to 350 hp, even more. I've seen a guy with a massively customized '63 Falcon with a 460 in it run an 8" at the track for years. The 8" doesn't get enough respect, and that's probably because anything compared to the famous Ford 9" seems puny. But the 8" is considerably lighter than the 9, and plenty strong enough. Now, if you've got slicks and are dumping the clutch at some insane RPM all day, you might want to consider stepping up to the 9". In the long run you'll probably be better off financially getting a Currie 9+ rear end, then putting Explorer discs on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts