Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the motor in my sig. i was running the 800 when i first got the car goin cuz its all i had layin around and it always started right when i hit the key and reved faster and felt faster.......i put a 650 on it (that my buddy had been using and it worked great on his 350) and i have to open the throttle and let it crank for a few seconds before it will fire...once it starts i have to keep the revs up a bit till it gets some heat in it and it will idle....the 800 idles right away buuuuuuut if smokes if i let it idle for a couple minutes.....im pretty sure thats just because its too big for that little motor but i dont understand y it starts, idles, and runs better

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
choke ,, accel. pump??
tim

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The 850 is just running darn rich, and that makes it a bit easier to start. Hence the smoke.

The 650 is probably running a little lean, because it was jetted for a 350 Chevy. With less cubes, you're pulling less air past the venturis and less fuel is metering through the idle circuit. If you richen up your idle some and crack the throttle plates open a little more, I bet it will idle just fine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thekingofazle on 10/4/06 4:23am ]</font>

·
Registered
448 Posts
Its also possible that the calibration for the metering blocks is richer on the 850 , idle feeds are larger and dumping in more fuel at idle. Had a simillar problem recently and converted mine to a 4 corner idle to get some control over the secondary side and after decreasing the IFR and adding the adjusting screws to the block it idles all day at 800 in gear and doesn.t foul the plugs,

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fomoco8 on 10/4/06 7:56pm ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts