Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while I don't have one of these yet, I think they might be a good solution for me to achieve a little bit of fuel efficiency while still driving a car I think is cool. I've been looking at the 80's model turbo coupes and wonder if
1. Are there are any pitfalls I should avoid?
2. Any weak factory components or common failures I should avoid?
3. I just looked at one with an "upgraded oil cooled turbo"? is this a big deal?
4. Can these turbo'd 4 cylinders push this car down the road with enough stank on the stick?

I"ll soak up any and all information anyone wants to share, so please give me your input. THANKS!

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
TCs, SCs, and XR7s are cool. My best suggestion is to go right to the guys who breathe for these cars on the turbo coupe sites. Do your homework, as there are not a lot of pitfalls, but you need to know what you're doing to get the most from them. They are heavy, but will out-run a stock 5.0L version, so they can move. That raises another point, in that a little fly-weight import with a turbo engine nearly as big will clean-up on you, so decide now if awesome power or fun economy is your dream. You know, you can turbo or SC the 5.0L version too :D but you also know with a heavy foot your final MPG will be a bit ugly.

Upgrades are relatively cheap and easy and there's lots you can do, but be aware the faster you go, the more expensive it becomes for a DD. Also the mileage is not significantly higher than the V6 and V8 versions. Like I said - it's heavy.

While a lighter car would do better with the little 4-banger; if you're stuck on the style I would consider the XR7 as they aren't abused as much and carry a significantly lower price tag as many are not even aware of the turbo version. As they are nearly identical as a Mercury sister product, all the tips that apply to SCs apply to them as well. Change the badges to SC if you like. ;)

I would avoid buying a car with an upgraded turbo. It's not a big deal upgrade, and it can be done well or be crap. Most of all, it tells you the PO was obviously pushing it and the rest of the car hard. Most of the time that's not a good sign for buying a used car. I would go find Granny's beautiful XR7, give it a wax job and start having fun - but that's me. Buyer beware.

David

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I had an 86, made my own adjustable waste gate, and put on a good head gasket with 3 inch down tube, ran 13.21 without gears. Would have messed with it more but lost interest. Fun car, would ruin tires at will

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I had a 5 sp black 85 TC. My nephew's later model (87?) felt quicker.

Took a little time for my turbo to spool up, but then the car ran good. His turbo seemed to come on quicker.

I was OK with the TC's lower body gray color, but I didn't care for all the gray window and tail light trim, so I painted all trim black to match the body. Gave the car a better look.

Also added the plastic headlamp covers, which may be illegal in some states.

Unfortunately, during a strong case of driver stupidity, I totaled her in a snowstorm in 1994. Car had a bit over 90K and had just had it's first brake job.

I still have original sales catalogs for many of those 83 thru late 90's TBirds. Fun to browse every now and then.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info members...I wound up buying a non turbo 87. I'm still on the prowl for a turbo coupe, but its gonna be down the road a bit LOL!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts