Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, Some of you know I bought this intake for a better rpm range and installed it and put black RTV down on the ends like I've done in the past on intakes. I put a nice big bead and made sure it oozed everywhere and was even and torqued the intaked to 20 ftlbs and let it cure for 24 hrs like it said on the tube. All fine and buttoned up and ready to drive I started smelling oil and got back in the garage only to find that little valley behind the intake full of oil!

The real kicker is that I've done this twice! It never leaks on the front end seal only the back....I'm wondering if the intake is so smooth the RTV isn't sticking like it needs to....but twice seems very odd to me.

Also the performance of this intake is weak at best.....there's no bottom end torque what so ever! My high rise dual plane from Ford worked better all around so it might be going back on.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok guys, I found out what the problem was....aside partly me which is hard to admit but I pulled the intake already only to find that the Black RTV wasn't cured between the intake and block at all! It was on the outside where you could feel it but it was still oozy like right out of the tube in between......there was also places where the RTV didn't even stick on the intake. I think I'll rough up the surface a bit for better sealing.

You would think 24 hrs is enough time to cure but not for this stuff, that explains why I was getting leaks both times.

Anyone know of a better RTV then the Ultra Black RTV?

·
Registered
718 Posts
i always use permatex black rtv and never had a problem. i'v fired an engine up right after putting an intake on and never had the rtv end seals leak.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I used to use RTV, but now I prefer "Right Stuff" for the china walls. It builds high and sticks to about anything. I have never had any seepage after using it.

It is so good that it will require cutting the seal with a razor blade when you want to remove the intake. Not to worry, it cleans up just fine after cutting it flat with a razor blade and then wiping it down with some lacquer thinner.

The only issue is that it cost about $13, the can will last for many years--unlike an open tube of silicone.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shiftthis, I've never had a problem with black RTV either until now, a friend of mine told me he lets it sit for awhile so the RTV gets a skin over it then he puts the intake on.

Dennis, I've seen that Right Stuff but getting in there later and have to cut the stuff with a razor blade won't be easy.....do you have to cut all the way through it or will a small cut make it tear and come apart?

I could always go back to useing the cork end seals.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If you have no power on the line at take off you can move the motor power around . If you adjust the valves a few degrees tighter that will advance the cam giving you more power at take off. In reverse you adjust the valves open more you retart the cam if a car is spinning at take off.

If you still have no power at take off then you donot have enough cam in your motor. I think thats right.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Dennis, I've seen that Right Stuff but getting in there later and have to cut the stuff with a razor blade won't be easy.....do you have to cut all the way through it or will a small cut make it tear and come apart?
It cuts fairly easy and I always do it all the way through where I can reach it-you would have to have decent access to get your hand in there. I have not tried to pry it loose as it hasn't been hard to get some decent cuts beforehand. I use it only on the china walls/intake ends-never around the ports.

Ultra black should have worked. Did you clean the surfaces with Lacquer cleaner beforehand? I always apply a thin layer to the intake side and a thicker layer on the block side.

Also, be sure that you valve cover gaskets are properly sealing. They may be leading you on the wrong path.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use brake clean to clean all my surfaces with and I could see right where the oil was leaking out of, I cleaned it all up and watched the oil seep out and go right into the valley again. I did manage to get the valve covers to seal.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I only use Victor Reinz RTV, or Ultra Gray/Grey RTV, the Ultra is wonderful and will seal over oil in many cases, it's awesome. I never use black any more.

On your sealing and on your power.

1: Sealing, you have not got enough PCV vacuum or the leak would be a lot slower

2: Low end Torque, (in my opinion) You get that from speed of the air charge entering your cylinders, if you got a larger flowing intake the numbers will be poor in low rpm's, and better in the higher rpm's but only if your exhaust can handle the top end.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hiya FE,

How do I create more PCV vacuum? I have an Edelbrock carb so the PCV hose is going to the front of the carb like they suggest.

Maybe a bigger engine would help....LOL!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts