Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Don't do it. The front coolant passages in the 5.0 manifold are much larger than the front passages in 289 heads...I tried it once with one of those manifolds on my 65 289. I looked at them and got rid of the manifold, I don't think the passages would have sealed up...

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I'm running a ho 83-85 manifold on my 302 with 351 W heads it sealed fine I will hit the track on Saturday and Sunday it is a mild combo so I will let you know how it works. then I'm putting a old torker mannifold on it next to see if there is any differance to it on a mild engine let you know after the weekend

Alan

·
Registered
183 Posts
351W heads MAY have different sized water passages, I'm not sure. I do know they got much larger on later year heads, and it wouldn't have worked on my 289...the sealing portion of the manifold gasket was hanging just off of my head... Maybe something was screwy, but I don't think so...

·
Registered
11 Posts
That 83-85 HO 4v intake has VERY small runners, even smaller than the stock 289 2v cast iron one. It is probably sized perfectly for a STOCK engine, but not much more. I recently swapped out one of these out for a Perf. RPM on a GT40-headed 302 and was amazed at the difference.
Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts