Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok for all my fellow mustang lovers iv got this car and its got me puzzled pretty good right now ok lets start. Iv got a 84 notch back 5.0 car. when i bought the car it had a early 70's 302 motor in it. well its a 4 bbl motor. the car had a painless kit in it when i bought it and the wiring was done like crap so it burnt up. so now this car has no wiring at all. ok now heres the fun part. i started putting the car back together i put a new water pump ,new gaskets,new coil,wires,plugs,cap,rotor,intake gaskets,rebuilt to carb, i adjusted the valves,its in time have a new coil and for a temp fix until iv got the new wiring iv got it wired to a toggle and push button set up. iv only got this car to fire once and it ran for 2-3 mins. now when your cranking it seems to try and fire but getting nothing. im starting to worry about the motor now. so i figured id ask if anyone knew anything else to check before replacing this motor completly?? if anyone can help id appreciate it.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
I agree some basic diagnostics are due. You'd be really upset if the 'new' engine did the same thing. Running (well?) for 2-3 minutes indicates it's relatively OK, and there is a secondary issue. Maybe as simple as a bad fuel pump or clogged tank pickup strainer or filter. It could be one of a hundred little things, so start basic with compression, spark and fuel tests, and track it down from there. Welcome to hot-rodding!

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts