Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 85 5.0 thats sitting here, and I need to rebuild the 289. Would it be better to play with the 5.0 heads or should I just port the stock 289 heads.

Thanx

·
Registered
74 Posts
Port your stock 289 heads because you will get more compression from the smaller combustion chambers!!!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx guys, anyone wanna buy a 85 (non-roller) 5.0 cheap. All complete except carb, lol.
The thing is, the Fairlane is my daily driver, and I was hoping it was a roller, and, and, and,......

Oh well. Win some, lose lots.

Rick

·
Registered
809 Posts
Rick, does that engine have the taller lifter bores? Some of the flat tappet cam engines in '85 were built in the roller block. FYI all the '86 up passenger car(not sure about the trucks) engines were rollers.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
dark

ford makes a roller conversion kit for all 85- up 302 blocks.
make sure ur block is an 85 tho if not sure it should have casting number that starts with E5 stamped on it or u can pull the intake and see if it has 2 small holes in the middle centered between the 2 rows of lifters.

summit racing part number for this conversion kit is fms-m6253a50 and it lists for $59.00

so dont sell it just cause u dont think it is roller

joe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 74Maverick on 1/10/02 10:57am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 74Maverick on 1/10/02 10:57am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does have the holes for the roller conversion. I actually bought the Comp Cams spider, and was going to get the roller cam, lifters, with the intention of putting it in the Fairlane. The motor was rebuilt about 15k ago, and sounded really good in the 85 Cougar.I was going to make it look like the stock motor, but roller, but cost wise, it would be cheaper and easier just to get a 351W and have more hp potential. So, I have a complete motor, and Comp Cams spider collecting dust and in my way.
Thanx guys for caring

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2002-01-09 23:27, dark7068 wrote:
It does have the holes for the roller conversion. I actually bought the Comp Cams spider, and was going to get the roller cam, lifters, with the intention of putting it in the Fairlane. The motor was rebuilt about 15k ago, and sounded really good in the 85 Cougar (didn't smoke, like mine).I was going to make it look like the stock motor, but roller, which means swapping my parts over from the 289, but cost wise, it would be cheaper and easier just to get a 351W and have more hp potential. So, I have a complete motor, and Comp Cams spider collecting dust and in my way.
Thanx guys for caring

1 - 12 of 12 Posts