Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a Mustang, but it's a foxbody! I picked up this 85 Capri a few months ago and started throwing $ at it. It's got a stock 5.0 / 5spd from a 91 GT; they kept it fuel-injected but hacked up some of the original wiring, so my brother an I have been working on that. Also has the 91's 8.8" rear, with 3.73's.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My grand plans for the future are...

Get everything working for inspection! Right now the brakes need a little more work, ignition wiring needs some work, and the reverse lights don't light up. I'm also waiting on a balance bracket so I can hook up the ebrake. The horn and all the other lights work.

My brother's been working on it with me. So far - new inner and outer tie rods, fixed some wiring, checked / bled the brakes at the wheels, new ebrake cables, new radiator, deleted the AC, an did a few other little misc things.

While looking at the wiring I ended up gutting the interior. Cut the roll cage out cause it'll be a street car. Pulled all the old sound deadener out, cleaned the floor (no rust!), put down a few coats of rubberized undercoating and added a little new sound deadener.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Nice. I had a Crapi that the ex-wife originally bought new. I really enjoyed it. Like FE, I like the front appearance better than the 'Stang, and the back isn't bad (it's different) but it never rung my bell. So, I installed a factory rear spoiler and smoked tail light covers that were flush with the body lines. A surprising difference in appearance, and had folks guessing what it was all the time. I almost bought another well-treated Crapi a couple years ago (orig 5.0/5-sp) but he wouldn't bring the price a couple hundred down to my max reasonable offer. Bummer. One day!

David

Something like this:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I think it'd look better too if the tail lights were flush with the body.

Here's some more pics of the interior work. I've been painting everything with SEM Charcoal. It's darker than the original gray, but looks good I think, an it'll all be the same color. I tore out the factory jute padding, and put a little deadener + closed-cell foam on the backs of the larger panels. With the new carpet and insulation, I think it ended up around 15lbs lighter overall.

New headliner. Threw some extra foam on the back of it, an deleted the map light.

New dark / SVO gray carpet:

Seats cleaned and re-installed:

That brings us up to date. I've got to paint the new dash pad, fix the door poppers, put the new door panel carpet on and re-install the panels. Few other things, an the interior will be 'done'. It needs a radio and speakers, but that can wait.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
For the weight-obsessed math geeks - I can't find an actual number for the curb weight of an 85 Capri with 5.0/5spd, but after a lot of searching I figure it's around 3150 - 3200. The numbers I'm using should be pretty close but may not be completely accurate.

Here we go! Starting with 3150:

+54lbs ('91 engine, taken from the Mustang tech reference book)
+35lbs (8.8" rear, one site lists it at 195lbs, another guy weighed a 7.5" at 160lbs both with brakes)
+27lbs (MM full-length SFC's with seat braces)
-60lbs (AC delete, lightened sound deadening, lighter ACC carpet, console delete, alum driveshaft, dogbone delete, fog lights deleted)
------------------
That gives us 3206lbs!

She's ahh, big-boned...
I'd love to get it down around 3000, but that's just not gonna happen without a bunch of $, or sacrificing ride comforts, or chopping stuff up!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some new numbers: I found an '86 Capri brochure that lists a 3210lb curb weight. The 86's had EFI and the 8.8" rear-end, so that should be pretty darn close to my '85 with it's '91 Mustang drivetrain. So now we've got:

3210lbs starting weight
-86lbs now of weight loss
+27lbs for sub-frames
3151lbs

A couple days ago I pulled the gauge cluster out, swapped the Temp and Speedo gauges, and painted the needles:

Started with this

I used Model Master's fluorescent red-orange. In this pic the tach has one coat and the speedo has not been painted yet; it matched up very close.

Finished

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Could probably lose a little weight if you went to the older Capri hatch rear bumper and tail lights, not sure but it seems like that big bubble glass would weigh a lot. My Mom bought a new black magic Capri in 1981, was a good looking car.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea it's a love it or hate it thing apparently. Looks fine to me!

Winter is starting to close out so I've gotta get back on this project an finish it enough to start driving it. I found a bit of wiring harness needs for the reverse lights; pop that on, get an alignment, finish the exhaust an I think it'll be ready for the road.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Small update: I finally plugged in the little wiring harness for the backup lights, so those work now. Also put in a couple floor plugs it needed and installed new dew wipes. Now I can reinstall some more trim pieces.

Still to finish for the interior - carpet for the door panels, audio sys and paint/install the new dash pad.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wasn't this car supposed to be done by the spring? :p

I finally got it over to a shop earlier this week - they cut out the crappy generic sub-frames and installed MM full length ones. Also made a couple middle pieces of exhaust and installed the mufflers / tailpipes, so now it's got stock '91 headers going to an offroad X pipe, Dynomax Ultraflo's and Flowmaster tails, all 2.5" SS. I'll take some pics of that when I get the car in the air to paint the sub-frames.

And since it was on the trailer, dad an I took it to a local place this morning to get weighed. With ~1/4 tank and me out of the car, she's a svelte 3080lbs.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Looks good got to love that Bubble hatch
i personally hate the bubble hatch, but if i were to end up with a capri that has one, it is easily replaced with the mustang hatch. the rest of the car i rather like, especially the fender treatment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts