Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

I just picked up a 1987 5.0 motor, AOD trans and all of the wiring and computer. Does anyone know the best place for information on doing this swap?

Thanks

Rob

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I dropped in the 5.0 and AOD yesterday to see how it is going to fit. The first problem is that the upper intake is hitting the power brake booster. The second problem is that the crossmember won't line up becasue the AOD is longer. Here is a pic of the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You can use a Mustang 11 p.booster, it will clear.
Didn;t i read somewhere that you can flip that intake around too?
Don;t quote me now, i know i saw a old F-100 with it flipped
The X-member can be moved back & reused

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
You can use a Mustang 11 p.booster, it will clear.
Didn;t i read somewhere that you can flip that intake around too?
The X-member can be moved back & reused
Flip it, but be aware your throttle and tranny cables will need attention, so look at that first before you commit. Non-HO intakes are flipped (TB on driver side) and may be a source of different cable brackets and such.

Agreed, the smaller booster is always an option. I assume you'll be doing a dual-master conversion soon anyway, so that could be your excuse.

I have used the original cross-member in swaps, either by extending the mount hole slots, or adding extensions as appropriate. Doing that in another one soon by adding a section to the front of the member for a shorter tranny rather than moving the member, as there is no good new member location in my case. Just giving options to think on.

David

·
Registered
734 Posts
yeah keep us posted Roarnracin, i have a 5.0 ive thought about slapping it in my 67.

good luck

PS take pics and post in the tech section here in these forumns

1 - 12 of 12 Posts