Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swaping 5.0 from '88 Fox Coupe to '88 4cyl. Conv. Completely stripped the Coupe. Powertrain is removed from the Conv. Couple of questions:

1. Is the K-member the same in both? (looks the same to me.) Was planning to put in new ball joints and the spindles/springs/struts from the V8 car. Also swapping the rack.

2. Is the brake line at the rearend the same on a coupe and conv.? The 8.8 line mounted up high on the drivers side. Current on conv. mounts low on passenger side.

3. Is the dash wiring compatible from the drivers side? Both cars had the same dash. Could swap if needed.

V8 car was AOD. Anyone got a T-5 and all the goodies(crank to rearend)?

Any other helpful hints?

·
Registered
57 Posts
My next door neighbor dropped a 302 in an 83 four banger and didn't need to swap anything up front. Check out the following link, should be what you need, as there is a tab on the site that has some info on the swap.

www.5Lmustang.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
The K member is the same unless you had an early fox body with a straight 6 (not many of those around now). I've done this swap, if you have any questions....ask away. It's a workout, but kinda fun and a great sense of accomplishment.

good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info and link!

Still didn't find out if the 2.3 dash harness(that extends into the engine compartment for starter solenoid, lights, etc.) is acceptable as is. Has anyone used it without modification? Brain wiring all comes from the passenger side and hooks in for both 2.3 and 5.0.

Using the original 5.0 (EFI). No mods, just wanted a 5.0. Besides, I couldn't get much for the car with the 2.3 lol! It's a clean body and a shame to waste... Thought it would be relatively easy by using the same year car(more luck than anything). Biggest difference is coupe to convertible...

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you are using the 5.0 with the E.F.I. it is fairly easy. In my shop I have converted 13 and counting. The harness on the driverside for the will work just fine. You 5.0 harness will plug right in to 1 or 2 plugs. Those are for the gauges and they a direct plug in. You use your 5.0 harness on the passenger side and it is direct plug-in. The motor is the easy part. Swapping all the fuel lines, rear brake line, fuel tank, and rear. On the 2.3 the rear brake line is on the opposite side. If you are swapping in the 8.8 rear you will have to use the 5.0's rear brake line. There is alot of little stuff. The front springs should be replaced. If your 5.0 had the quad shocks all the mount holes are on the 2.3 car. All in all it is a very easy swap. I have it down to a day job. But it is easy on a lift. The first one I did was my wrecked 88 5.0 and a perfect matching 2.3. I did it on the ground and it took 2 weekends. But it was still easy. Once you get the motor in and the computer harness you will see how it goes. It will just all plug up. Or it should.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! That's what I needed to know! It's taking me a little longer because I totally stripped the coupe first, then discarded the shell minus rear quarters.

Also need to get new mounts, clean-up the motor and accessories from the front main seal leak(a couple of years worth by the way it looks). Replace some other worn parts as well...

Still looking for a complete T5 too.(crank to 8.
Do you know if the driveshaft is the same from AOD to T5?

Also, saw a note about using the 5spd out of the 4cyl. car.(on the website mentioned above) Anyone actually done it and put some miles on it? I'll be using a stock 5.0. Might be a good option if I can't find the real thing for a reasonable price!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I do have a couple of t-5's. One is a world class. They all are in need of some repair. Most need 3rd gear. All my t-5's are v-8. i'm going to start rebuilding these transmissions. Let me know if you are interested in one, I am not sure right now on the price but it will be a good deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
One good, or should I say, bad launch on slicks and wait for the synchros to blow at some point....I've heard of some 4banger T5's lasting just fine and then there's people like me that launch at 4grand with a Centerforce clutch (NO SLIP!!!)and ET Streets and lunch my 1st to 2nd gear synchros. I had mentioned before on another thread that there is a 'beefup' kit from Ford Motorsport to upgrade from the bronze (yeah, they are...no kidding!) synchros in the 4banger T5 to the steel synchros...I haven't done it yet, but it looks so much more inviting at $50 to $100 for a junkyard 4banger T5 than a $750+ junkyard 5.0L T5....plus, first and second on a 4banger T5 is eye-openning to say the least...

·
Registered
242 Posts
You will want to swap the clusters if you havent already, the V8 will have a 7k tach vs a 6k both clusters will be 85mph unfortunately, If you could find a cluster from an 89 it would be a direct swap and you get the 140 speedo, as for the T5 look for one from a 90-93 they were rated at 300 ft lbs instead of the earlier 265 ft lbs, Don't waste your time with a 4cy T5 the gears are diff, and you get less overdrive. The 4cyl dash harness should work fine with the v8 cluster all gauges will work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
One of the guys said to swap front springs, I wouldn't. 4 cyl front springs work great for weight transfer. My brother did this same swap with no problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back from the junkyard... Found a T-5 out of an 89 GT for 450. That also included everything from the crank to the rearend and cable(had to take the rack loose to get the thing out). Most of it is in good shape. The flywheel has a few heat stress cracks though. Will have to get that checked out(ground?).

The car looked clean and was a light hit in the left front. Also bought the rear anti-sway bar and stabilier shocks/brackets as the V8 LX was lacking.

Saw a good comparison chart on another post. It described all the T5 differences. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index.shtml
Looks like there might be some issues with the main shaft length... Good heads up on the synchros!

Also good to know that the pod switch is that easy. I remember installing a tach in a 78 Ranchero and needing to swap the special "resistor wire" from the harness.

Thanks to all for the info and notes. Keep on writin cause I'm not done with this thing yet... Next step: Cleaning and assembling new seals, gaskets, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobra77 on 1/20/02 6:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am doing the same swap in a few weeks 93 mustang lx to a 5.0 carb'd going carb'd cuz i dont like wires and its easier to me. i have 5.0 trans t5 already have spear 8.8 its all for my gf she wants one lke mine. its not a hard swap i am running the hei distributor easiest 1 wire hook up no haslte involved power steering will work fine alt. will plug right in all should take me not but 2 maybe 3 days easy to do just gotta have the parts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Going to do my '93 LX eventually as well. I picked up all the front brackets today off of a 5.0. Still need to get a fuel line and of course build the engine and do somethign about a transmission (5 speed). It may be (302, 331, 347, 351, 383, 408, 418???). I drive a LOT so it will probably stay 2.3 for another year or so. Eventually, though, it will get a V8.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the 2 plugs by the brake booster on a 87 are for (black and grey) i am running a f/i 5.0 with a ford racing harness that has no matching plugs for these . the motor has no emissions equipt on it,besides O2's. On this particular car the grey plug has 8 wires, the black has 5. Any help would be appriciated Thank You

1 - 15 of 15 Posts