Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin for someone that really knows their ford electrical. My mom has an 88 T-coupe that until recently was one wild ride. Then it developed a miss. After much trouble I discovered that the miss was the ignition momentarily dropping the timing to 0 degrees. I also discovered that unplugging the spout connector would make the problem go away. This tells me its part of the advance circuit, although I have no idea how it works. Also the engine is showing no codes, stored or active. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Mom wants to smoke hondas again.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Try the TFI ignition module, they get hot sometimes and start doing weird things. Also, dont overlook the ignition switch itself, these are constantly failing on these cars.
If you need more help, try Charlies Automotive on Charlston Blvd....ask for Patrick...he's a turbo 2.3 guru!

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the TFI tested, said it was ok. I thought about the ignition switch, but when you using a timing light, you see it fire dead on 0 TDC at the same time the engine coughs. Freakin annoying to say the least. Its almost to the point that Im gonna rig up a DS2 dizzy....

Will definately be paying Patrick a visit soon if I cant fix it.

70 Torino Conv. N code 429

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Luv70sFords on 7/1/02 3:56pm ]</font>

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keep us posted on your progress! I'm not sure if it is the same thing, but this weekend I built a boost valve for my 88 T-coupe to up the boost to about 14 lbs max. The test drive was great, but now every time it gets to 12 lbs it acts like it has a miss. I'm a bit concerned about it because it did this before at 10 lbs but was barely detectable. I think it is related to how hot it is, but not sure.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Luv70sFords, even though the module tests OK it is likely the problem. The Computer sends a signal to the module telling it to advance the timing. This part of the modules circuity can fail.

primetime, you need to check your fuel pressure. Should be 39 psi plus 1 psi for each pound of boost(39 + 14 boost = 43 psi). The pumps get weak with age and cannot supply the fuel needed under boost.

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
First thing PLUG IN THE SPOUT CONNECTOR! This problem might be the TFI but I'd look futher. My SVO's first miss was a stuck injector. It then never made good power even at 25# of boost. I had to change the TPS & tweek & tune it until it's where it is today. Have someone scan it with a GOOD scanner. Plug in the spout & try un-plugging the knock sensor. If this helps, might be pre-ignition. Try herre & ask your question http://www.mustangsvo.org/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did some messin with this thing today, and I was mistaken. The miss occurs when the timing retards to 10 BTDC not 0 tdc. This leads me to believe I have a fault somewhere in the circuit for the spout connector. This make sence?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts