Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89' 302 EFI. It is all factory with the exception of headers and exhaust. The oil pressure has always been reading low. I installed a manual guage to verify the problem.
It reads 30 PSI at startup and as the engine warms will drop to zero on the guage at idle max of 10 psi while running. There is no tapping noises coming from the engine. I did replace the oil pump several months ago, prior to the manual guage but still had the same issue. I dd not change the pickup although it looked good.

Any Ideas!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Where are you pulling the reading from? If you screwed the pickup for the mechanical pump into the same pipe thread that the factory sender was piped into, you could be experiencing a flow restriction due to the oil gallery being all gummed up. If the flow is restricted there, you may be getting an inaccurate reading. I would think that 10 psi would generate an audible knock in the motor. You'll know soon enough if you keep running it . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, That is where i installed the mechanical fitting. is there anoher place to install the connection on the block?

·
Registered
57 Posts
hmmm. . . got me there. I just know from hot tanking about a million blocks when i used to work at a machine shop, some of these oil galley's would be so gummed up, you couldn't hardly get a brush through. Not sure where else you can tap in on a SBF. Sorry not more help . . . Any one else?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
that's the only place to tap into on a 5.0/302. That little passage gets gummed up all the time. A lot of times you can remove the sending unit and any nipples that screw into the block and use a coathanger to clean out the crud. Just an idea, but it might be something to think about.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If there was a restriction in the oil passages to your sending unit/gauge it would likely only affect the flow to the gauge not the pressure. A restriction could prevent the gauge from reacting to quick fluctuations in oil pressure, but it would ultimately read correctly. The 351W in my T-Bird is very tired and it will only hold 5 psi or so in gear when hot with 40W, but it does not knock. A 393W is under construction.
Danny

·
Registered
582 Posts
Does it have a lot of miles on it? It may be time for a rebuild. To much clearance in the crank and rod bearings will cause low oil presure. You could try runing a heavier weight oil like 20-50W and see if the pressure comes up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts