Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm sort of new to the whole late model thing. I had an 82 5.0 SSP for awhile, but ended up selling it. As far as Mustangs go, that's the newest I've owned.

Some background info.

I have an opportunity to pick up an 89 5.0 hatch rolling chassis. The car is supposedly complete as far as wiring and such goes, but it was clearly converted to some sort of drag car for awhile. It has a complete interior, but holes drilled through to carpet for what looks like a bolt in 4pt cage. The insides in ok shape, but the center console is mostly trashed. The car is supposed to have 3.73 gears, drag shocks (I'm assuming he means 90/10's), and it has some sort of linked traction bar off what might be a lower shock mount (where 'quad shocks' might go?). Stock 10 holes in the back are mounted with 295/50/15 tires in not so good shape. Oh, and it has some sort of home made looking 1 1/4" square tubing subframe connectors. Bodywork's passable, with a few spots that need attention. Glass seems to be all ok. It's a 5spd car, no motor or trans.

Here's my question. What's it worth, and how much would you guys guestimate it would take to complete the car and make it 10 second capable chassis wise (excepting motor and tranny rebuilding etc, I have that covered)? If it was an early Mustang I'd have a better idea...but I don't know on the late model cars what's worth what. His asking price is 700$, I was going to offer him 500$.

Whatcha think?

Here's a picture (sorry, not a very good one...I'm going back over there tonight, will bring the real camera):

Thanks!

Cris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's some more pictures....

I also found out for the 700$ he'll give me a 91 LX Hatch 4cyl complete parts car that was wrecked on the passenger side.

Cris

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd pass because of the amount of work required. The last roller I bought was 600 and I stripped out interrior and body stuff I needed and sold the shell for 100. That's what the 4 cylk car is good for too, interior and some body stuff. Pics looked like there was some bondo too. Wiring is chancy and would probably need to be gone thru. Its always better to get on that RUNS if you can.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I didn't pick up these cars. I actually traded a 1966 coupe shell (and I DO mean shell! No glass, doors, decklid, fenders, hood, interior, etc.) for a 1984 hatch with no motor/trans, and no interior whatsoever, not even a dash lol. Someone was using it for some kind of drag car, and it has an aluminum 'box' (only way to describe it) with guages, a push button start, and a key mounted on it lol. But! It has aftermarket control arms out back, and a 4.11 geared posi of some sort as well. I think I may buy the wrecked hatch from above for the quarter glass, and the interior to sort of finish out the 84. Always liked the newer interior better anyhow =).

Anyhow, wish me luck on the fun new project. At best it should turn out pretty nice...at worst, I can keep it stripped, put a full cage in it, and see just how fast a 2400lb 84 hatch can go with a 500hp 347=p

Cris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts