Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch needs to be replaced...is this a job I can do my self or do I need to take it to a shop? Someone told me it's a big job because of the position of the clutch...advise?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I replaced the clutch on my '85 4x4 Ranger myself. Only hard part was getting to the top bolts, ...and bleeding the hydr sys. I tried to save a few dollars and went with AutoZone parts and it lasted 29 days then the pressure plate came unglued. I went back with Ford parts the 2ed time

·
Registered
247 Posts
You`re kidding, right? If you have to ask take it to a shop. You have to remove secret clutch hatch door, hidden behind glove box.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Basically the clutch is between the crankshaft and transmission, the transmission is stuck inside the crankshaft. To remove the clutch the transmission has to come out of the crankshaft. There is a special procedure tighten the pressure plate to keep things align along with special tool and special jack. You don’t want to get one single greasy finger print on anything, but you do want to grease certain parts without using too much or too less of grease. Not installed and adjusted correctly the clutch won’t pull your car out of the driveway and it will be rendered useless, shot, money down the drain.

I agree with rcm600, it’s more to it than changing a spark plug.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yes Sam you must remove the transmission. That and the rear driveline, the tranny crossmember, the shifter boot, the shifter knob, Etc... Etc...

It's not too complicated but if it's your first time get some help from someone who has done it before, I do NOT want a newbie hurt!

FE

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
YOU DONOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE TRANNY OR BLEED ANYTHING

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 11/5/06 6:44am ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts