Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 75 Mustang II with a 8in 4 lug rear.Is there any other axle shafts that will swap in to change it to 5 lug

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
You might try some out of a Maverick or '63 Falcon V8. Those are the narrowest 8 inch, 5lug rears Ford made.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That MII rearend should measure 57 inches flange to flange.

The Maverick 8" is 56.50, so each axle would be be 1/4" shorter, but they should still have enough engagement to work.

Axles from an 8" from a 65-66 Mustang should work also. That rear is 57" flange to flange. So the axles would be 1/8" longer on each side.
Check this link for widths:
http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/FordRearDimensions.html

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
413 Posts
What I did was to swap a 9" from a 67-68 mustang It was the perfect length. Even the spring pads were in the right location. I just eliminated the spring isolator set-up. But I used a 1/2" spacer under the rear and retained the sway bar. Now it's 5-lug. I bought a set of 5-lug rotors off Ebay for 55.00.

·
Registered
413 Posts
There are a couple of guys selling new MII rotors with 5-lug patterns. If you search around Ebay you can find them I am sure someone else sells these too.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
maverick axles will not work. The mavericks have one short and one long axle, whereas the MII axles are nearly the same length. I just bought a MII rear for the axles, just to find out they wouldnt fit the maverick rear. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
We used 5 lug maverick axles. Yes they are just a bit shorter but we haven't had any problem yet. We did have to have the axle flange turned down a bit to get the MII's axle flange to clear though.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
what 9" would go under a 64 Falcon V8
Alan

·
Registered
314 Posts
On 2002-03-17 22:08, radracing wrote:
what 9" would go under a 64 Falcon V8
Alan
Click on the link in my earlier reply. 3rd from the top of this thread. There are several 9" rears that are very close to stock widht for a 64 Falcon.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Rad, try the '57-'59 9". Should be 57 1/4" flange to flange.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts