Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pinion seal opening is a 2 3/4 id. I can only find 3” od seals .
Can any one tell me a part number for the deal . Thank you

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Is it possible that its actually an 8" rear? If you can put a deep socket easily on the lower "pumpkin" retaining studs/nuts that you do not have a 9" rear. The 9" differential housing shrouds 2 of the lower bolts so that a wrench is about the only thing you can use for nut removal. (Not suggesting that you need to remove any of those 10 nuts do do the job that your are doing--its simply and easy way of seeing if its really a 9" rear.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Dennis
I do have to use a wrench to get 2 of the bolts out . No room for a socket. I did find a seal . Part number 3406 national pinion seal. It shows to be the proper Dimension. Going to find one and check it out .

·
Registered
700 Posts
Some of the last pinion retainers used a smaller seal . That's probably what you have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of the last pinion retainers used a smaller seal . That's probably what you have.
Actually you are correct.The pinion housing is a little smaller . 3604 national seal is the correct pinion seal for the smaller housing . Bearings and prong are the same as the big pinion housing .
Thank you for your input
Andy

·
Registered
700 Posts
Thank you , I have spent 56 years doing 9" Ford differentials. Some say I'm pretty good at it.
Randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts