Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just scored this for free! Guy thought it was an open diff and gave it to me. I want to dissassemble it and inspect the clutches ect...When I split it open will schit fly eveywhere? Or is it fairly straight forward? Never had one apart.

Thanks
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
+1 that it will only release a fraction of an inch. If it doesn't pop when the screws are pulled, a few careful glancing blows with a soft-face mallet or dead-blow will worry it apart. Or, you can put the screws back in about 2-turns out and pop them with a brass drift to separate it. I would note the parts positions (especially clutch stack and shim locations) during tear-down to verify it's together correctly in-case it's been apart before. I grabbed one at a swap meet once that someone had apart and just stacked all the clutches and steels randomly, which of-course would have been a disaster if used as-is.

I see that one was made at the Michigan Casting Center so it should be a later Traction-Loc. 28 or 31-spline? Most likely 31 with an MCC casting.
:tup:
David

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just scored this for free! Guy thought it was an open diff and gave it to me. I want to dissassemble it and inspect the clutches ect...When I split it open will schit fly eveywhere? Or is it fairly straight forward? Never had one apart.

Thanks
Matt

Does anyone have an exploded diagram of this diff? Its a 28 spline. I just want to make sure everything is in its right place.

Matt

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Try this. Cars and trucks are the same. First check if the clutch pack has 4 (Trac-Lok) or 5 (Equa-Loc) ears before going further with tear-down. The diagram link is for the later 4-ear Traction-Lok.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts