Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 Fairlane has a 9 inch rear axle out of an unknown vehicle. I went to replace the diff oil and found out the 3rd member does not have a filler plug and neither does the housing. I can pull and axle and put the oil in but it’s inconvenient. Someone welded a truss on the back of the housing (they did a really nice job, gag!). Anyway any chance there is a plug under the truss? I’m ready to use a hole saw to find out or maybe remove the truss as it was poorly installed anyway.
Thanks, Kelly

Attachments

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Some 9 inch rear end had the fill hole in the housing and some had the fill in the center section you probably have the wrong mixture. I know it would be slow but maybe you could fill it by removing the vent bolt that holds the brake lines in place.

Rick

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Some housing had plugs. Some diff cases had plugs. You may have a plug-less combination. While race suppliers sell bungs and plugs for this, or you could just do your own from the hardware - is it worth it? If you change diff's a lot, I suppose. But if not, I'd just fill through the end and move on with life.

David

·
Registered
440 Posts
not saying you didnt look or that you are stupid. im just saying this INCASE you missed it. but mine is on the opposite side he the housing that is in this picture.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Looks like alot of work, then it may not turn out that great. You might want to think about just buying a new housing w/ Fill & Drain bungs... or add them to one that you might get that doesn't have them. Removing that back brace and making that rear housing look good again will be alot of work. Like I said, you may not be happy with it when your done. Ads all over for 'em... Run that one until you get your new all set-up.

9 inch Ford Axle Housing For Sale

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'll put the oil in through an axle tube for now and work on getting another housing at a later date.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Fill it through the breather hole on the left axle tube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts