Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a friend who has an early Bronco 9 inch rear end he will sell me, I would like to put it under my 64 Fairlane. Is this going to be a good fit without major welding and headaches? I assume the spring pads will have to be moved, but I don't know what else I'll have to do. I really don't know what to measure how to measure, where to measure from etc. It is 58.5 inches from wheel mounting surface to WMS. Any help or guidance much appreciated!

Johnny
SLC Utah

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Hi guys, I have a friend who has an early Bronco 9 inch rear end he will sell me, I would like to put it under my 64 Fairlane. Is this going to be a good fit without major welding and headaches? I assume the spring pads will have to be moved, but I don't know what else I'll have to do. I really don't know what to measure how to measure, where to measure from etc. It is 58.5 inches from wheel mounting surface to WMS. Any help or guidance much appreciated!

Johnny
SLC Utah
just check for pinion offset . thats pinion center to wheel mount ..both left and right . same for your stock rear . do the same for pinion to spring pads . compair the specs .

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I've shared this before but here it is again just for kicks:

Axle Widths:
  • 65-66 Mustang 57.25 inches
  • 67-70 Mustang 59.25 inches
  • 71-73 Mustang 61.25 inches
  • 77-81 Versailles 58.50 inches
  • 67-73 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 9" 59.25 inches to 61.25 inches
  • 57-59 Ranchero and station wagon rears, 57.25 inches
  • 66-77 Bronco 9", 58 inches
  • 77-81 Granada/Versailles, 58 inches
  • 67-71 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane, 59.25 inches
  • 71-73 Mustang, 61.25 inches
  • 64 Falcon 58 inches
  • 67 Cougar 60 inches
  • 67 Fairlane 63.50 inches (coil springs)
  • 72 Ford Van 3/4 ton 68 inches
  • 73-86 65.25 inches
  • 57-59 Ranchero and station wagon 57.25 iches (narrowest 9" housing)
  • 66-77 Bronco 58 inches but has 5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle
  • 67-73 Torinos, Rancheros, Fairlanes 59.25 inches or 61.25 inches
  • 67-71 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes 59.25 inches
It doesn't appear to have the year Fairlane you have but I just thought I'd throw it up here.

In your case just take the same measurement you have on the 9-inch on your 8-inch (drum to drum, etc). It is never as easy as some people say when it comes to rearend swapping. It isn't just a bolt-in deal 90% of the time. As you already figured you'll probably have to relocate the spring pads and then there's the brake line connection, shock mounts and whatever else might need to be altered. Keep in mind that even a 1/2" either way can make big problems with fender and spring clearance and inside the fender tubs. Trust me, I know from experiance on these issues.

As 5.0 said make sure the bolt pattern is correct, otherwise you'll have problems with wheel selection, etc. If it needs to be narrowed that's a whole other deal.

Unless you plan on making pretty big power at some point you might want to consider keeping the 8-inch as an option and using the money on something else. Otherwise take your time and do it right!

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just check for pinion offset . thats pinion center to wheel mount ..both left and right . same for your stock rear . do the same for pinion to spring pads . compair the specs .
Thanx DannyBoy, I think that would be a good place to start. I assume, to measure from the center of the pinion, you go from the center of the yoke?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've shared this before but here it is again just for kicks:

Axle Widths:
  • 65-66 Mustang 57.25 inches
  • 67-70 Mustang 59.25 inches
  • 71-73 Mustang 61.25 inches
  • 77-81 Versailles 58.50 inches
  • 67-73 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 9" 59.25 inches to 61.25 inches
  • 57-59 Ranchero and station wagon rears, 57.25 inches
  • 66-77 Bronco 9", 58 inches
  • 77-81 Granada/Versailles, 58 inches
  • 67-71 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane, 59.25 inches
  • 71-73 Mustang, 61.25 inches
  • 64 Falcon 58 inches
  • 67 Cougar 60 inches
  • 67 Fairlane 63.50 inches (coil springs)
  • 72 Ford Van 3/4 ton 68 inches
  • 73-86 65.25 inches
  • 57-59 Ranchero and station wagon 57.25 iches (narrowest 9" housing)
  • 66-77 Bronco 58 inches but has 5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle
  • 67-73 Torinos, Rancheros, Fairlanes 59.25 inches or 61.25 inches
  • 67-71 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes 59.25 inches
It doesn't appear to have the year Fairlane you have but I just thought I'd throw it up here.

In your case just take the same measurement you have on the 9-inch on your 8-inch (drum to drum, etc). It is never as easy as some people say when it comes to rearend swapping. It isn't just a bolt-in deal 90% of the time. As you already figured you'll probably have to relocate the spring pads and then there's the brake line connection, shock mounts and whatever else might need to be altered. Keep in mind that even a 1/2" either way can make big problems with fender and spring clearance and inside the fender tubs. Trust me, I know from experiance on these issues.

As 5.0 said make sure the bolt pattern is correct, otherwise you'll have problems with wheel selection, etc. If it needs to be narrowed that's a whole other deal.

Unless you plan on making pretty big power at some point you might want to consider keeping the 8-inch as an option and using the money on something else. Otherwise take your time and do it right!

John
Thanx for your reply John. I didn't even think of the shock mounts! I can just see me taking 6 months to get it in and done right, I'd like to get it on the road. I'm just putting in a mild 289, but I have a feeling I won't be satisfied with it until I put a 460 in it! That's the only reason I'm considering the 9 inch. I've come close to buying one of those 8 inch trac lok differentials off Ebay, those are twice the price of what my buddy wants for his 9 inch. (His is Detroit Locker and 4.11 gears) I really want to get up off of the floor and start working on other things, other than the suspension!

Thanx again

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I had to get larger U bolts to fit over the larger diameter axle tubes which meant the shock mounts no longer fit and the Granada shock mounts were offset style. I ended up drilling out the Falcon shock mounts making them an oval hole for the U bolts which probably isn't the best thing. I could have welded up the holes and re-drilled them but I didn't. So far after about five years it's not been an issue.

I had to scrounge around trying to find the right brake line fitting to connect the Granada rearend to the Falcon lines. I think it was an '80's Ford van line that ended up fitting. :eek:

Nothing that's real tough, just not a bolt-in deal for sure. I did mine for the same reason. Back when I first installed it the car had a fairly stout 289 but I knew that was going to change one day - and it has! It's not like my 347 is going to break a 9-inch, especially running street tires but it's one less thing to have to worry about. :tup:

John

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
65 F L , right about (within limits) about not having to worry . with added power cost of repairing an 8" , makes the 9" cost less in the long run

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate your input FalconLover and Dannyboy. I'm kinda scared to get this 9 inch thing in motion, because I'm sure it's pretty involved and frustrating. I'm not a welder, if I was, I don't think it would bother me so much. Thanx for your help guys.

Johnny
SLC, Utah

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I appreciate your input FalconLover and Dannyboy. I'm kinda scared to get this 9 inch thing in motion, because I'm sure it's pretty involved and frustrating. I'm not a welder, if I was, I don't think it would bother me so much. Thanx for your help guys.

Johnny
SLC, Utah
Hey johnnie dude , how much for the rear ? might still be a good but for the center section

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
real D/locker not a bad price with the housing ..

you said ."involved" , you think that of a rear axle , a 460 into that car would be way to much
Ok, so to get a 460 in there, I would have to cut the shock towers, use a bunch of Crites stuff (motor mounts, headers, trans cross member), new drive shaft, sub frame connectors and a 9 inch rear.......what else?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Ok, so to get a 460 in there, I would have to cut the shock towers, use a bunch of Crites stuff (motor mounts, headers, trans cross member), new drive shaft, sub frame connectors and a 9 inch rear.......what else?
front springs , radiator and time

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
real D/locker not a bad price with the housing ..

you said ."involved" , you think that of a rear axle , a 460 into that car would be way to much
If you're serious about swapping in a 460 at some point in time this isn't such a bad idea. For a complete 9-inch with a locker and gears that price is a great deal IF it's in good shape. If it is, it's worth twice that, three times if it's all rebuilt, new parts, etc.

I'm not saying it's a overly complicated project, just not a bolt-in deal. It might be a good learning project for you - it was for me as it was the first time I'd done this type of thing before.

As Dan said, this is simple compaired to an engine swap like you're planning on doing.

For $500 I'd buy it and go for it. :tup: Although the gears aren't very forgiving.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts