Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my pursuit to improve the stangs ET for the next drag race, I've gone through my stuff looking to see if I have better gears. I found a 3.25 31 spline gearset under one of my trailers, and am going to put it in the mustang as long as it also sports the 31 spline axles. My questions are as follows

First is there any way to make the 31 a 28 and vice versa? I've never torn into a 9 inch before, but it seams to me I should be able to swap spiders. is this correct?

Also on the yoke, is there anything that would keep me from swappin yokes? if not how much torque do I use to tighten the nut?

·
Registered
739 Posts
The only difference is the side gears. The side gears are inside the diff case with the spider gears and are splined to engage the axles. Pull them both all apart and put the 31 side gears in the 28 and you will be in bid-ness.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yes, you will have to recheck the back lash and case preload. Fortunately you won't have to reset the pinion depth or preload.

·
Registered
291 Posts
With respect to "r-code", He's right that you can swap the side gears. However, not all (in fact very few)sides are bored large enough to accept 31 spline axles. I suggest you try puting the 31 axle through the side B-4 you bolt everything together. If they don't fit you can have the sides bored out to clear the axles. It's a simple job that any machine shop can do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.