Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the correct width for a 9 inch for a 65 mustang.I need to know if I got the right one and where to measure from.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I shall try, the thing is I saved the site by putting it in my favorites file but it does not have the address of the site and when I go there it is a page inside a bigger website I think, any way I will see if this works.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the 65 mustang rear suppose to have the taper?Also the one I got is 52 inch it does not have the taper.Do I need the 3 inch U-bolts also How long do they need to be.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The 52" axle you have is the right width, but it's prob not orignal to a Mustang. The Mustang ones have tapered tubes. The only 65 Mustangs that had 9" rears from the factory were Hi-Po K code cars. Not much chance of one of those being parted out. Since the tubes are not tapered it came out of one of several other cars with that width rear. Most likley a 57-58 full size Ford or early Bronco.

Yes, you need the 3" U bolts. 6" long from the bottom of the U to the ends. A little longer might not hurt. The 8" rear with smaller tubes uses the 6". Since the 9" is non tapered the tubes will be 3". The longer U bolts will reach past the axle tube a little further.

Later,

David Cole

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave C on 3/14/02 8:40am ]</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts