Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a good 9-inch rearend donor car for a 66 mustang. I want the 31 spine axles and something that doesn't invole me modiflying the rear end to make it fit my 66 mustang. I've been to the junkyard but that just gets more confuse. Can anyone give me a specific year and model for a good 9-inch with 31 spine axles and if possible disk brakes. I've heard of the lincoln versalies but what year?

Sorry for all the rambling. This is just getting annoying?

Also anyone have any experience with the PowerTrax no-slip locker?

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry that I can't really answer your question but it sprung a question for me. If you change the rearend can you take the disk or drum breaks with it? I was planing on changing the rear end on the cougar and I also wanted to do the disk break conversion but its kind of expensive from what I hear. Could I swap the rear end with the gear ratio that I want and just get one with disc brakes on it already? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I am not aware of the perfect setup being out there for you. Lincoln Versailles have bolt-in rears with disk brakes, but they have 2.75 gears and 28 spline axles. Other housings that might bolt in are not all that uncommon (Granadas, late '50s cars and wagons) but the 31 spline axles are not common.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
There are no 31 spline 9" rear units that are 52" flange to flange (stock for 65/66 mustang. The only possible exception would be the early broncos (pre-75, I think). Some of those were supposedly equipped with 31 spline rears, though I've never seen one. If you need a housing, watch for 57 Ford Fairlane/Rancheros. They're an exact fit. The only downside is they're not as beefy as later models. K code mustangs and Broncos are you're only other choices for an exact fit. With the Bronco, you'll have to relocate the mounting pads, I'm pretty sure. You'll still have to find a 31 spline center section for thees choices. It's much easier finding a separate housing and center section than trying to find one as a single unit. One other choice is to pony up (no pun intended) for a custom unit from Strange, Currie, etc. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i really dont care for the ratio, i'm going to give it an over-haul no matter what which will include a ratio change. Also is it possible to to convert a 28 spline axle to a 31 spline? if so whats the cost? Also can anyone educate me on the larger axle bearing type? i heard these were stronger. I 'll be putting these rearend behind a 500hp 351 so strength is nessacary. so what year versallies should i look for?

thank you guys again

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
The Versailles rear is about an inch wider on each side so take that into account when you start dealing with rear wheels/tires. Look for Versailles from 75-80 I think. Somewhere around 81-82 they switched to the Fox platform. Also, don't discount the Granda/Monarch's. They had rear discs available as an option, though not many people know about 'em. With 500 horses, I'd strongly suggest a custom setup from Currie/Strange. It'll run you $700-1000 depending upon your choice of center sections, etc but you'll be buying a quality piece that'll withstand the kind of horsepower you're shooting for.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Not saying it won't handle it, just saying it may not handle it as long. I'm as budget conscious as anybody, believe me! The fact of the matter is the rear center section of the Versailles/Granada were slightly different and consequently weaker than truck production and earlier production units especially in the pinion bearing area. Besides, the street rod industry have made Versailles units very hard to find, and way overpriced when you do. I'm using an N case 31 spline unit in my car only because a buddy found me one in a junkyard dirt cheap. Broken parts are never any fun for anybody. I say build the best you can afford.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
You wont find a 31 spline set up that will bolt in to your stang from the Ford offerings. A "K" code 9" from a 65/66 without the pumkin will cost you almost as much as a complete Curry setup. I took a 67 housing narrowed it to fit my needs and it came with axels for about 400$ if I remember correctly. You can try Dutchman`s of Portland Oregon, they good work. All the guys around here go there for their axel needs, they do housings and disc brake rears also.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just installed a complete rearend from Currie. Got a new 9" housing, 31 spline axles, big Explorer disc brakes, Limited Slip, 4.11 gears, Completely assembled and ready to bolt into my 66 Mustang. Cost me around $2400 with shippng.

By the time you find a good versailles rearend, redo the brakes, put in a new centersection with gears you might be close to what it cost me for my new one. Check out http://www.mustangmonthly.com. Check the tech archives they've got a good article on why not to get a versailles rearend.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mstnggt66 on 7/2/02 11:58pm ]</font>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think i'm gona just find a housing that bolts right up to my 66 mustang. then just find a solid center section to rebuilt. But i'm still a little confused. What year and model car would i find a 9" rear that would bolt-on prefectly, not consider the ratio or anything else just the fit and strength. And i have the same question on the center section.

Thanks alot guys

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
'57 Ford Fairlane rear housings are a direct bolt up. 65-66 mustang "K" codes were 9" also. That's it. Any 9" center section will fit any 9" housing. Axles must match the center section for spline count.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Neither the fairlane nor the K-codes were 31 spline axles though. If you really want 31 splines, you'll need to build a new 9 inch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts