Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

9 inch rear

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ckelly 
#1 ·
Did complete brakes and axle bearing on my 78 Bronco. Have not driven it in 3 years since I bought it. Now that I have taken care of some of the rattles and wind noise I can hear a slight whine/rumble on acceleration but not on coast. Bearing area of rear axle is cold after driving like 35 miles and center section is warm. Would like to change the grease first to see if there is any improvement. Is it possible to mark the U joint flange and pull the pinion retainer out to drain it? I just didn't want to dump the grease oll over the new brakes, Murphy lives in my garage. I did refill axle after doing brakes and bearings. Thanks

#3 ·
Be very careful about pulling the pinion section out if you have a timed gearset. Some gears 3.50's, 3.00's need to be matched to the exact tooth and you might not get it right if you don't just go ahead and pull the entire pumpkin out.

#5 ·
On 2007-01-07 10:05, allenman85 wrote:
Be very careful about pulling the pinion section out if you have a timed gearset. Some gears 3.50's, 3.00's need to be matched to the exact tooth and you might not get it right if you don't just go ahead and pull the entire pumpkin out.
Do what? A 3.50 gear has 10 teeth on the pinion and 35 on the ring gear - there's no way to index them. Maybe you mean that ALL gear sets are matched (lapped in) at the factory and you can't just use a pinion from set X with ring gear from set Y.

You can pull the pinion - but it doesn't come out as easily as you might think if the backlash is set properly (around .008 ). If you do, make sure that the shims under it are not damaged and that the mating surfaces and shims are clean when you put it back together.

First note - what is the ratio of the set? Lower gears (4.11 and up) whine by nature.

1967 Falcon 4 door w/351C - Owner built, owner abused.
70 Mustang 302 / 06 Ranger, 04 SuperCrew parts hauler
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 1/8/07 10:47am ]</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.