Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 9" third members here, one that I just took out of my torino, and one that has yet to go in. The yokes are different, and needs a new u-joint. What is the differences here?

Old yoke is narrower cup spacing and sticks out further.

New one is about an inch shorter, with wider cups.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
The short one is rare....

I had one on my shelf...friend came over, saw it, gave me $100 for it.

Sorry, that's all I know.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
1310 and 1330, for Fords. There is also the industrial grade 1350 Ujoint.
FMS makes a U-joint that has 1310 on one axis and 1330 on the other, which would allow you to adapt either way. The 1330 is the wider, one, used in high performance and high mileage (SW,taxi, police) apps.

You can swap the pinion saddle, I think it can be done without having to rebuild the rear end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 5/5/06 10:50am ]</font>

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't know how many yoke variations there are for 9" rear ends- full-size car, compact and intermediate cars, pickups, Broncos, vans, etc. When I put a '59 Galaxie 9" in my '67 Cougar in place of the 8", I used a '69 Bronco third member. The Bronco yoke matched the original Cougar u-joint and driveshaft for size and for length so it was a 100% bolt-in deal, no driveshaft modification needed. I imagine other combos could be worked out.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must have a 1330 short one then, I called up a local shop and they have one that will work, I just need to bring the driveshaft to em and have it put on. The short one is good for me cause im doin a T5 swap and now I for sure wont have to change the driveshaft

1 - 5 of 5 Posts