Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I am about to go buy a rear disc brake kit. Which one should I buy. Keep in mind that I am a college student so I don't have too much money to spend. I am leaning twards the Ford motor sports explorer disc brake kit. It is $360.00. Someone told me this weekend that ss brakes makes a kit that is better and is around 220.00 but I can;t find it. Can anyone help me with this or give me a place of a better kit. Thanks. Oh yeah the car is a 71 torino GT

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have this kit? I just want to know how good it is, and if it has the parking brake or not? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
No, I don't have this kit. I have considered it many times but I have the old style big bearing flanges. I would have to replace them with the new style Torino big bearing to use this kit. If there was an easy way to redrill the flanges or backing plate, I would purchase this kit for my 64 Fairlane project.

It is very similar to the wilwood kit with the integrated park brakes inside the "hat". Both wilwood and this kit use small brake shoes like drum brakes inside the area around the axle flange.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my car is a 71 torino Gt so I think the kit will work for me. I just want to make sure my flange is right. you said that it uses the newer torino style flange, I am guessing that makes my car work right? Just want to make sure. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
No, it doesn't make it work right. Without measuring the bearing diameter and the distance between the holes, you might be in for a rude awakening when you get it.

The flange holes are as follows for the new big bearing flange:

bearing diameter > 3.150"
mounting holes diameter > 3/8" (all 4)
distance left to right > 3.562"
distance top to bottom > 2.000"

here is the link to the willwod flange information page:

http://www.wilwood.com/products/kits/rpbkwipb/housingflange.asp

·
Registered
122 Posts
Be careful about those cheap prices. While the parts are good, the kits are incomplete. The SSB kit costs $600-$700 and includes master cylinder and proportioning valve. The Currie kit is cheaper, but does not include them. Costs about the same when all is made equal. I don't know about the Ford kit.

Remember as well as rotors, calipers, & mounting brackets; you will need a new master cylinder for 4w disk brakes, proportioning valve, emergency brake hookup, new hard lines from MC, and possibly new hard lines on the axle(old ones might be brittle and can't take the bending needed), plus the other odds and ends such as brake fluid.

If you are short of funds, forget the rear disks. You will not see much change in braking unless you really drive hard. That was my experience. Spend your money on other things. Just make sure your brakes are in good condition

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where do I get a master cylinder for the 4wheel disc brakes? I already have the porportioning valve? The one I have now ids for 4wheel drums. If I can I would like to add a power booster, but only if I don;t have to change the pedal? Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
For manual brakes you can use a 74 Maverick manual disk/drum MC. It's what I have. for power, which is what you shoud go to with your car, try any 4w disk master cyclinder (Mustang or F150 have been used) get one that willfit the space, bolt pattern, etc. You might get a cheap one from a junk yard to use for fitment. Then when you find one that works, you can go get a NEW one. don't get a rebuild. They have short life spans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts