Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my '56 F 100 I have the drive train from a '72 Gran Torino.
351C 4V- C6 -9"
I jacked up the left side, and only the left spun.
I jacked up the right and only the right spun. I've done this before on cars and they will roll along with the jack with one wheel up. Do I have some kind of slip differential?

Raising hell with my neighbors, I wet down the culd de sak on the side of the house and did my burn outs (damn good time). going straight, turning left, turning right. Only the right wheel spinning.
the tag on the rear end says;

E8-AF 2GD
25 9 815B

whats the story on this thing? What gearing do I have? should I go with the Detroit Locker. Is it an after market thing, or did they come in something stock? and how would I tell if I found one at the scrap yard or at the auto swap? tag #'s, casting #'s, anyone have a photo?

after the re-build of the Cleveland, I need traction from both sides. (imagine that)

Thanks in advance, Slick

I'll be posting pictures soon, she sure is purdy!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Your missing another # on the tag. The # closest to the bolt hole is the gear ratio. Look for something like 3.00, 2.79, 3.25 etc. I'm not an expert on these tags as they can be quite confusing but I know the 9 stands for 9". You have a open diff from the description you gave. If your ratio # has a L between the first and second #, it means it is a locking carrier. Example 3L25. Thats about all I know about your question.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Mark, It's kinda dark under there. well hideing under the nut & dirt was the missing #'s, here are the correct #'s

WEB-AF 2GD
3.25 9 815B

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've also been looking at the post by Mighty Mach "trac loc vs detroit". will the detroit hook right up to mine? I like the gearing it has, what else would I have to change?

·
Registered
183 Posts
All you would have to change is the carrier, but you have to make sure you know what spline axles you have and if you have no experiance setting up rear ends you best leave that to someone else.

I also like the gear ratio you have, it's a good compromise gear for a driver.

The most inexpensive way for you if you have the time is to start scrounging the bone yards for 70's through mid 80's f100 and 150 4x4 truck pigs. I have found that quite a few came with 3.25-3.50-3.70 trac locks.

The only kicker is knowing what spline they are. I have seen both 28 and 31 spline versions in various eng-trans combos without any rhyme or reason. All you would then need to do is switch out your front yoke and your ready to go, assuming you find a pig in good cond.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about the Detroit locker? Are they an after market thing? and what would the cost be? I would hate to waste all that time and buy a peice of junk, when I could get something new that would last me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That did help some, Thanks.

So where can I get the Detroit locker? and any one know a price? for part and instaled?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Jegs, summit and most aftermarket and speed shops can get you a detroit locker in the blink of an eye. Last I looked they were about $400.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Whoops, missed a question. The local speed shop did mine for $50.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts