Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
It is flashing a code. (6)Driver-Side Air Bag Circuit - Open or High Resistance. What you will probably need to get is a diagnostic flow chart for that code. I found this info, I don't know if it will help. I have seen the clock springs break before,it is common when a rack is replaced and the column spins and tightens the spring:

: Code 6 and 32 refer to the Airbag Diagnostic Monitor sensing high resistance in the airbag circuit. The resistance of the circuit is normally around 2 ohms. The circuit consists of the harness from the Airbag Diagnostic Monitor to the base of the steering column, a clockspring, and related wiring inside the column and the airbag itself.

The problem is generally a broken clockspring. It replaces the old brush and slip ring design that was more prone to developing high resistance due to warping or grease buildup on the rings and wear of the brushes. The clockspring is a wound circuit that can rotate with the wheel much like a recoil spring in a lawn mower. It has a center position with a limited range in either direction, usually 3-4 turns each way and like a recoil, is prone to breaking.

Start the diagnosis by disconnecting the battery for a minimum of 10 minutes to power down the system (or unhook the backup power supply if equipped) and remove the airbag from the steering wheel, making sure to set it 'bag up' on a flat stable surface.

Next install a 1- 2 ohm resistance across the steering wheel connector to simulate the airbag

(1 ohm resistors are available at a local Radio Shack. For 2 ohms, simply twist 2 in series). Reconnect the battery and check to see if the code returns. NEVER DO ANY TESTING WITH THE AIRBAG IN PLACE.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 2/10/02 3:22am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 2/10/02 3:24am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
For what it's worth....saw a guy get launched from the air bag into the seat, then off the A pillar, then into the hoist when he 'uh, in a hurry', didn't disconnect the system, and was dorking around, replacing the module.......it literally went off in his face............ knocked him kookoo for half a day.......(he's still kinda strange to this day).......

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey be very carefull with them Iam a master tech and sir is one of the areas I cover. Their again Iam a GM tech and love ford, how does that happen . Anyways as long a you disconnect the battery you shoul be ok. But my advise is to get a manual. Also I dont know as far a ford a concerned but alot of times on GM when that high resistance code sets, for what ever reseason , its just a little corriosn build up in the driver side loop connector . Most of the time all that has to be done is disconnect the connector and clean the terminals and plug it back.You might want to try that first because it cost 0 money try and plug it back reassemble everything and see if it resets. If it does its something else , could be the coil(thats what GM calls em)wiring or the inflator module (air bag).But if your not sure what to do please get a service manual or pay some one to do it , because trust me that air bag will hurt you if you [email protected]#% up .Just the main thing is to disconnect the battery just like someone else said.Now I maybe wrong and fords are very differnt than GM but I cant amagine how much. Their system are usually similar.The engineers are not really creative in detroit.Any other questions I will try to answer. good luck!

lowside

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Better get a manual on this.

Some vehicles such as the Taurus has a device under the dash that is almost like a battery that last longer than 10 minutes and needs to be disconnected also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts