Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a 1992GT 5.0.I was wondering what sort of performance items I should go with on the car? The car has 115,000. miles on it and I need this moter and trans to last a wile longer but in return want to step things up a bit! The oil has been changed every 3,000. miles and the filter as well with every oil change.The cars engine has been kept up real good. The car was driven buy a female and has not been modified what so ever. Like I said I want the motor to last a wile longer until I get a motor I have built! So lets say.....1 to 2 years!Any tips on how to clean the throttle body since They say no carb cleaner on these years?? Any help would go along way! Thanks,Mike

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
There are specific products designed for throttle body cleaning. Ford has a part number but I'm sure a number of aftermarket products are available. As far as mods go, two of the easiest ones are the air box mod, or removing it all together and replacing it with a new tube and K&N filter. The other would be steeper gears. 373's really bring these cars to life. Check the sites 5.0 project cars for a bunch of other ideas including headers, exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you maintain the car you will have no problems, the main thing is to keep on the oil change. My 87 GT has 206k and still runs good, I change my oil every 2k miles and am putting about 80 miles a day on it. You can get throttle plate cleaner to clean the throttle body. I think 3M makes some. Take the air tube off between the TB and mass air meter and spray the TB out real good, and open it up and get as much build up off the back side of the plate. As for mods you can do just about anything. I would start with exhaust, headers,H pipe etc. There are quite a few intakes avaliable as well as bigger TB and injectors. You might want to look into a larger Mass air meter too like the C & L 76.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MGT351 on 4/14/02 11:41am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
It should run well for you for quite some time. I have nearly 190,000 miles on mine; drive it nearly 100 miles per day to and from work. The engine does use a little oil but really not that much. The only problem I have had was that the electronic module on the side of the distributer went out on the commute home last summer. I changed it and runs great. I do change the oil every 3000 miles and make sure that I inspect the engine/drivetrain and clean things every time I change the oil. I have added: Mass air conversion with 75 mm MAF; 24 lb injectors; Full length headers, off road H-pipe, and Flowmaster Cat-Back exhaust.

I am getting ready to replace the engine but still drive it every day as I build the new one in my garage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, to everyone who has replied to my questions. I have some gumout cleaner that says it will not harm protective coatings on throttle bodies and carbs.Does anyone think this will be ok????? Thanks again.
Its hard to believe there are mustangs out there that still run strong with 200,000 miles or close to it on them with all the abuse that they are hit with as well as aftermarket bolt-on's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts