Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an OBD code p0171 (left bank lean) that keeps coming back. my truck has a 2.3L & manual trans. I removed the MAF and cleaned it and checked for vaccuum leaks and found none. any thoughts? also the wipers seem to have a mind of their own, they will go on intermittently just driving down the road. any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
395 Posts
Lean condition can be O2 sensor. Unplug the sensor and plug it back in and see if that helps. Parts stores have replacement sensors. Has your gas mileage dropped?

·
Registered
247 Posts
A lean code is usually not an O2 sensor problem. It is usually a vacuum or intake gasket leak. Check your baro reading in hertz for your elevation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fuel milage is great, a steady 22 mpg. I found no vacuum leaks but I will double check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
wipers are coming on due to a faulty multifunction switch, as for the lean code monitor the short and long term fuel trims, they shoud be close to 0% if the srt ft is off bring the engine up to 2000 rpm and see if it drops if it does it is probably a vacuum leak if not it is maf, ff, or possible electrical failure

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pius55 thanks for the info on the wipers. I dont have any way to take those readings. I only have a cheepo code reader, I think I will start with the fuel filter and go from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts