Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does one go about replacing them? I know how to replace IP lights, i did them all in my torino, but mine is simple to remove. My grandma's van, which is mine most of the time, has two-three bulbs out.. i tried several times to remove the panel, but i think you have to take out the left half of the dash. Am i right? since i'm the only one that drives at night, i would really help me out to replace those, especially since it will be my daily car soon, and if i'm going over 45 at night i'm not entirely sure of my speed at a glance... if anyone has any tips or hints they are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dude, are you sure you have the right website? It's fordmuscle.com. Not grocerygetterdropthekidsoffatsoccerpractice.com

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it may be a minivan, but it's a ford, and i've beaten a ricer civic in it before, plus i couldn't think of anywhere else.

The fuse is still good, i will replace it anyways, but i can't see the shift indicator at night, and it seems to glide through gears when you shift it. There is only one fuse for the panel, and three bulbs went at once, is there any possiblity that a wire may have shorted them out at once?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I'd recommend getting a manual for it, might have a bad circuit, or those bulbs could be in series, and one going would take the other two. Hard to say without diving in, but Im sure a book would be of great help.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Instrument Cluster
Removal

Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301).

Block the wheels (1007) to prevent the vehicle from moving.

Turn the ignition switch (11572) to the OFF position.

Shift the transmission range (TR) selector to MANUAL LOW (1).

Tilt the steering wheel (3600) to the lowest position, if equipped with a tilt wheel.

Remove the two instrument panel finish panel screws.

Remove the instrument panel finish panel (044D70) enough to access the switch electrical connectors.

Disconnect the rear windshield wiper/washer switch electrical connector.

Disconnect the heated back window and light switch electrical connector.

Disconnect the emergency warning switch electrical connector.

Disconnect the SECURITY indicator light electrical connector.

Disconnect the speed control on/off (CRUISE CONT. ON/OFF) switch electrical connector.

Disconnect the headlamp switch electrical connector.

Disconnect the autolamp/light switch rheostat resistor electrical connector.

Remove the instrument panel finish panel with the switches attached.

Remove the four instrument cluster screws.

Remove the transmission range indicator (7A110) from the instrument cluster (10849).

NOTE: Mark the three instrument cluster electrical connectors to ease installation.

Disconnect the three instrument cluster electrical connectors.

Remove the instrument cluster.

Installation

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks racerguy
, it sounds like an all day project with my poor skills. But one thing, it said to remove the 2 instrument panel screws, then pull it out, well it seems that if i pull it out it will break, are there any screws from the bottom that i cannot see, or is a matter of just pull it anyways??

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe that car has a dimmer for interior lights. You might want to check that before tearing the dash apart.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah it does have a dimmer, at it is set at max, but if you were to split the thing into 4 sections being 1 on the left 4 on the right, it would be section 3, and the the shift indicator which a light on it's own. My grandmother took it to "her" mechanic in december, and they wanted $200, where as i could do it, but just need to be directed how to do it. thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts