Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of waiting I finally got my wheels from wheel vintiques. They are 17 x 9 Steelies. I painted them body color, some teaser pics to come. The wheels come with a minimum 5 1/8" backspace, not sure whey they can't do any less than that, obviously too much, so I was doing some measuring tonight to figure out how thick of a wheel adapter I would need. 5/8"-3/4" will do the trick without any issues. The tires on the wheels are 245/45 in the front and 275/40's in the rear. I may have to trim just a tiny bit from the rear wheel well lips but that'll be it. I'll have plenty of room on the inside. I could just get a thinner adapter but it'll look better out there a little farther and I think I can geta 5/8" adapter really cheap. The 245/45 allows me full range of turning in the front, although there isn't a ton of extra space at full lock so not much more tire would fit. I'll work on pics in a bit. It's 20 after 8 and I haven't eaten dinner or anything yet tonight in my excitement to get things measured up (tires were jsut mounted today).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 4camtbird on 6/15/06 10:20am ]</font>

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
interesting look, actaully being the color of the car and the hubcap makes it hard to tell they're 17". Interested to see how she road races now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a ways to go before that car handles worth a crap. With the stock 14" GT Rallies and some old junk tires it honestly handled worse than my Bronco II. Hopefully this is a dramatic improvement. One of these days I'll do some more suspension work. It'll definitely be making an appearance at an auto x or two though regardless.

As far as not looking like they are 17's with the dog dish on there and all, I really expect people to be scrtaching their heads when they see it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 4camtbird on 6/15/06 9:10pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have to see it out in the air with all 4 on the ground before telling you how it looks... There is a lot of rim there so when you get then on and her out into the air where she can breathe take another couple pics.

I do LOVE STEEL WHEELS! Keeping a stock appearence, to me, is bliss!

FE

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll definitely get some more pics up when it's on the ground. Need to get the spacers for that though first.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
I think it looks like the Stockcars of the 60s. When Stockcar racing was racing and not some BS advertivements. All you need now is a 21 on the side and Boss 429 painted on the hood.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I could find (and afford) a Boss 429 to put in there I'd sure paint that on the hood

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is really hard to find less than a 1 inch wheel adapter. Wheel Vintiques can't make them with a 4.5 backspace like you would ideally get, the least they can do is 5 1/8. I have it solved, but if you do get them see if they will do a 5.5 backspace, then you can get a 1" adapter which is easy to find. I don't actually have the adapters yet, but the place doing them was www.motorsport-tech.com. They are honestly the only online wheel adapter place that isn't retarded to deal with. I'd recommend them based on talking with them, assuming the product matches the service.

Should have the thing on the ground with those next week. I hope it sits low enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts