Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 1980 mustang w/ a 302 bored over .040 and 351 heads. I have blown the head gasket 3 times now, so I am thinking about putting a 400 in it. I was wondering how hard that would be and if it is worth it, because some ppl tell me it is a good truck engine, but a shitty car engine, and some ppl tell me its a good engine for either. so anyones advice would be appreciated, thnx

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ditto. The 400 is only good for trucks. It is a good torque motor for pulling. It is not a high rpm race motor. Plus I don't even think anyone offers swap kits or headers for this application. Also, there isn't much of an aftermarket for this motor.

If your wanting a big block, find you a 429 or 460. Lots of swap kits and headers and trick parts for these motors.

Have you figured why your blowing head gasket so much? 3 times is alot. Are you running alot of compression, Nitrous or boost? Have you had your block and heads checked for warpage?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
A 400 will rip the 351C a new one. 400 will accept all performance parts as the Cleveland and will rev over 7000RPM with stock rods and crank reliably while having 1/2" more stroke and long rods. Just have the rods bushed on the small end for the smaller 351C pins which are exactly the same compression height as the 400 piston and you must use the 351C 4V closed chamber heads for it to run like a raped ape. More compression with the same size chambers as a 351C and 400 cubes can use the 4V heads big intake port volume at much lower RPMs while still wanting to rev over 7000RPM. Adapters are available to bolt the large port 4V 351C intake to the 400 with 4V heads and all valve train components swap over except the longer 400 pushrods. You can build a very mild 600-650HP 400 without using aftermarket heads and only reving it to 6500-6800RPMs. An extreemely underated performer which most people refuse to aknowledge having any kind of performance potential. I on the other hand have seen one that blew my mind and it was built using a solid flat tappet cam, 4V quech heads, Strip Dominator intake with adapters, no port work at all, and flat top pistons for around 11.5:1 compression run 10.0s in the quarter with C-6 and an '86 Mustang that had full interior and exhaust. Used 351C headers and had no fitment problems. If I had a 351C 4V with quench heads and a 400 shortblock, I would definitely build the 400 with 351C stuff. Don't bother using open chamber 4V heads or any 2V heads. Just the quench 4V heads and 4V intake. Bush the small ends on the rods for the smaller diameter 351C pins, use 351C pistons, use 4V quench heads, 4V large port 4V single plane intake w/adapter plates, a healthy cam, and get the recriprocating assembly balanced. Very strong and tough engine that can take some serious abuse. BTW, the 400s sucked in everything they were put into. They suck as a truck engine and as a car engine. Weak, guttless, burned valves, cracked heads, terrible gas milage, etc. When built with 4V Cleveland parts, they absolutely come alive. I remember back in the 70s and 80s when everbody said the 351W sucked as a performance engine and couldn't handle much power. 400s are totally suitable for racing and will make more power than an identically built 351C. Very underappreciated engine indeed.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Holy ****!
Where was that info when this came up last kent?
Sounds excellant. One thing I dont get is the Compression height. What is it, and what were you saying about it?
Thanks a lot!

Jeff Given

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
The motormounts will have to be fabricated, and the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as a 429-460. BUT, 460 C4 bellhousings are available, and there ARE rare 400 blocks out there with the small block bellhousing bolt pattern. These mostly came in 73' model cars. One of the 400 castings is bad about cracking, but I can't remember which one.

But think about it... The 4bbl 351C has heads that are just a bit too large. These extra sized heads come into their own on a 400ci engine. Add a little compression with closed chamber heads, and you're ready to rock!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's the distance from the pin to the top of the piston. Go buy a copy of this month's Hot Rod magazine. They explain it all.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
...At least there's someone else that agrees that a 400 can rock and roll with the best of them!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I think I MAY SOMEDAY try this one....will the bitch rock on 91 octane? Closed Chamber heads ofcourse! What Rods, what pistons?
Thanks A LOT!

Jeff Given

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Maybe you should look in the Archives occasionally...

351C,351M, 400. What's the difference? (lists Holley adapters, too)
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/11/351M/index.shtml

400 build up- home ported 2V heads, 2 barrel intake and carb, Xtreme Energy hydraulic cam, headers= 380hp, 468lb/ft. Not bad for a 2 barrel...

JL

Technical Editor

Fordmuscle.com

'65 Mustang GT, 289 (Warp 65)

'92 Mustang, 5.0 T5Z (Green Machine II)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FasterDamnit! on 2/23/02 12:31pm ]</font>

·
Registered
452 Posts
I wanted to build a 400 to fit in place of my 351c but what cars did the 400 blocks come with the small block transmission bolt pattern? Also I have a shaker hood will putting the 400 in place of my 351c screw up the hood clearance for the shaker? thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts