Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for new hoses, lines or whatever you prefer to call them. I have a new compressor & clutch but I need new lines for it. Mine are in decent shape but I'm kind of sticking to the everything under the hood needs to be new theme. My usual parts stores don't do real well when it comes to model specific parts for a 7 Litre. I don't even bother with Advance Auto anymore since they tried to argue with me that ford didn't use the word litre in 1966. Part numbers or links to vendors would be great, thanks.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Check with Classic Auto Air.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I've got an email in with them now. I like the conversion kits, I may just have to upgrade ;)

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I don't think a 7 litre A/C hose would be any different than on an 390 XL. The 7 litre as I understand it is strictly an XL with 428, badging and a wood steering wheel.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sardog,
You should look into getting a new set made from a hose company that does AC stuff. If you have your old ones they can make an exact copy, but with the new hose material. Look up ptfe hoses that way you can change over to the new refrigerant and be good.
JIM

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sardog,
You should look into getting a new set made from a hose company that does AC stuff. If you have your old ones they can make an exact copy, but with the new hose material. Look up ptfe hoses that way you can change over to the new refrigerant and be good.
JIM
Thats exactly what they are going to do. Classic Auto Air is going to make new ones based on my old hoses when I send them in. A kit doesn't really make sense in my situation, since I already have a new compressor and clutch sitting on the shelf. They quoted me $75-$150 per hose, not too bad for what I'm after. I guess I'll just get one of the Mustang compressor covers to pretty the old design up a bit. I've got a decent stock pile of R12 too.

BTW: I had my father in law take a pic of my 66 XL with a 390 and y'all are right it looks the same. They're both FE blocks, I just wasn't thinking.

·
Registered
572 Posts
SD,
Make sure they make the hoses out of the new material ptfe, here is an example about the hoses.(AdvantaPure APFOS: Stainless Steel Overbraided PTFE Hose -White PTFE Core; Smooth or Convoluted I.D.) . It is nylon inner with other tough plastic on the outside. These new materials they use in all new cars and airplanes and are really great. The other good item is you can use the new freon (r-132?) in your system if everything is new. the old hoses will not hold in the r-132. Sell your r-12 its worth a bunch and use the new stuff with your new a/c parts.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim,
Can I use the new stuff with the old style compressor? I've done a little research on the R134a and it sounds taboo. I'm not sure about the condenser either, even with the new style compressors they say you need a new one to run R134a I kinda wish it hadn't had factory air so I wouldn't feel compelled to restore an extra system. I'll make sure the new lines are the right material. Thanks.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
572 Posts
that is the great thing about the new materials in the new hoses. They work best with either freon. The old hoses leaked after a few years and the new ones will not. I have heard and used the old compressors for the new freon with no problems. The only issue is if it is used and not just old, then you must clean out all the old oil and freon sludge or the 134 will cause problems. But the old (nos) compressors work fine. do some research on the web and you can see for yourself. Good luck.

JIM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts