Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. It is the XL with a 390 and an automatic on the floor. The shift plate shows "L - D1 - D2". I understand "L" and I read that "D2" was for when you needed to go leave in 2nd gear (snow, etc). So I normally run in "D1". At about 25 - 30 mph I feel the tranny shift. By 55 I am expecting another shift, but it doesn't come (in D1 or D2). Were these transmissions (Cruise-o-matic, I believe) 2-speed or 3-speed? If 3-speed, when should it shift into 3rd? I don't want to make any long, highway trips if the engine is winding too high. No tach installed yet.

2. On EBAY, I see a windshield wiper fluid bag for sale. I looked at my engine bay. I have no WSW Bag. In fact, I can't find any "squirters" at all. Was that an option in 64?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
1. D1 starts in first gear and normally shifts between all gears. D2 starts in 2nd gear and can be down shifted via the foot feed into 1st gear but will always start from 2nd gear at a stop. My tranny shifts so nicely that you can hardly tell it's shifted from 1st to 2nd unless you mash from a stand still. The shift kit I am putting in will probably make it more noticible but that won't be installed until the new motor and I am still assembling for atleast 2 more weeks.

2. Washers were an option from what I have been told. Mine is a 500 - XL and I do have them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Does it shift more than once? I can tell it shifts once. However, at 55 mph I feel like it should have an 'overdrive' type of gear. Maybe I am too used to newer vehicles.

2. Evidently nobody opted to buy washers on mine

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a bit of Googling. It looks like the Cruiseomatic is a 3 speed. If so, then I am only getting 2 speeds out of it. Looks like I need to crawl under it and look at the linkage...

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Your car should be screaming about 4,500 RPM's at 60 in 2nd gear... So just assume you have a very easy shifting cruise o matic.

Somebody above told you wrong... L is low only it is for being in 1st and staying there, period.
D-1 in MY old cruise-o-matic ment 2nd Gear ONLY, it started in 2nd and stayed in second no matter how fas you got up to.
D-2 is a nice smoothe shifting through all 3 gears...

Sure hope yours is working ok.

FE
P.S., to test wether you get all 3, start out in L and go about 35 to 40 MPH, that should be right at 3,500 to 4,000 rpm on your engine, manually shift into D-1, you will definitely feel the diffrence.
Then go faster 65-70 mph, once again your engine should be screaming at you, then shift up into D-2, you will finally be able to feel the shifts and count all 3 gears.... Shouldn't complain if you get all 3 gears that way but can't feel the car shifting into those gears while driving normally... that's the way they are designed,

FE

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely feel the shift at 25 - 30 mph. I just don't feel another one. Maybe 55 is too slow for the shift to 3rd gear. I think I need to install a tach.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Its been a long time since I drove a car with a cruisomatic, but... by my understanding and memory. They start in 2nd gear, you don't really need 1st, at least that seemed to be Fords thinking of the time. Howerver, you can get and hold first by pulling the gear shift down, into 1st after you start moving.

Then you will hear the 1, 2, 3 shift. Under normal conditions you will only hear/feel 2nd and 3rd. There were later model (FMX ?) shift kits or modules that will let you select and shift 1, 2, 3, but I really don't remember which car/truck was the source. There is a web site ...I searched for it and posted it here several times... that details the buildup and parts to put a strong Cast iron cruisomatic together using a middle size (passenger car) case. The cast iron cruisomatic came in 3 different size case formats. the largest was used behind Lincolns and some trucks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think, this weekend, I will test it by starting in low and seeing if I can get all 3 gears by manually shifting.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I don't notice mine shifting from 1st to 2nd at all but it shifts to 3rd around 25 mph which might be too soon but any more than that and it sounds like it's taking too long. Now and then I don't even notice the 2nd to 3rd though. You will definitely be able to tell if it's not making it to 3rd. Mine when cold, mostly in winter, doesn't shift to 3rd for a mile so i go 25mph til it shifts. But if I'm not thinking for some reason it's like you keep giving it gas, the engine is kinda screaming but you can't get any speed. You can but the engine sounds like you can't if that makes sense. My tranny doesn't slip, it just refuses to shift on cold days. After the first shift it's usually good for the rest of the day.

I have the washer on mine also and it's an XL. Some friends visiting from Ohio brought me a bag for it that came out of a '64 custom. The odd part was that it sucks the water out the top and mine is like gravity feed from the bottom. Also my bag is a wide one and this one is narrow. I wonder if it's an after market washer add on for the cars that didn't come with washers or something.

Deb

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShotRod64 on 6/24/06 1:54am ]</font>

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I definitely have a shift at about 25 mph. Maybe that is 3rd?

·
Registered
825 Posts
the first shift should be around 15 mph and again around 25 or 30 mph

1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd

engine should be screamin at around 70 mph probably @ 4500 rpms on the tach
you feel like you need overdrive or another (4th) gear at this point

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: norcal500 on 6/24/06 5:47am ]</font>

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sounds like it alright. Although I don't hear (or feel) the shift at 15. Maybe everything is OK after all.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Mine shift to 2nd at around 5 mph with 3.73 gears. D1 starts in 1st gear. D2 starts in 2nd gear. I thing FEandGoingBroke is mixing the two up. I drove mine last night and I doubel checked. Like I said earlier, unless I mash the foot feed I can bearly feel the upshift to 2nd gear when starting in D1. Don't use D2 unless you are on ice or snow. It will prematurely wear out your tranny!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's how I read it. I only use D1. It appears that I am just not feeling the shift into 2nd. Also, as NorCal500 said, it appears to be running very fast at 55. Just in my mind, I guess. Sounds like all is as it is supposed to be.

Time for more upgrades

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
What gears are you running? Or did you post earlier and I missed it. I really need an overdrive. I don't like 2300 rpm's around 45. Makes highway speeds seem like you are over reving.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just the stock rear end (3:00 -1)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Slap in to low gear and then shift up to D1 and see if shift once or twice. Everything doesn't sound quite right. There just may be something that not workking correctly. Be warned. Rebuilding a Cruis-o is not for the faint of pocket book. I spend $1200.00 two years ago on a full rebuild.

·
Registered
559 Posts
My cruiso is basically the same shift. shifts fast from 1st to second and then a normal shift from 2nd to 3rd. Check your kick down lever in second mash the pedal should jump to first. Also not sure but a modulator may be in order, try an adjustable one for later or earlier shifts.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From what I understand, the tranny was rebuilt at the same time the engine was. That was about 10 years ago (maybe 2,000 miles). The guy who bought it had a stroke right after so it got very little driving. Only driven when I, or another friend, came over and drove him around.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Let me join this list with my 1965. when I'm on the green dot I start in first and then to coax it into second I ease off on the gas and it shifts at 21 mph. After that I don't think it shifts again unless I floor it for passing gear. I have a glass pack though so maybe it does shift into 3rd and it just sounds like it doesn't. The other "drive" works exactly the same as the green dot drive.

I wish I had a tachometer and the moderate acceleration shift points.

$1,200 for a rebuild! at the dealer?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts