Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 roller 302 rebuilt to stock specs (E8SE)

Unable to find any clear answers on the internet. thx fellas:wink2:

*I assume not but will stock valve springs hold up if I add an e303 cam?

*Will roller rockers (speedmaster 4340 chromoly) need different length push rods? (stock heads)

*How used is too used when reusing (oem stock) roller lifters?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
the only way to know if the valves will float is to try it but i would buy new drop in springs from alexes parts if you are on a budget.

in theory you can put used roller lifters on a new roller cam but i wouldn't do it . . you can get new engle ones for $125.00.

that cam is too big for a stock late model 302 because the compression is low.

·
Registered
57 Posts
1988 roller 302 rebuilt to stock specs (E8SE)

Unable to find any clear answers on the internet. thx fellas:wink2:

*I assume not but will stock valve springs hold up if I add an e303 cam?

*Will roller rockers (speedmaster 4340 chromoly) need different length push rods? (stock heads)

*How used is too used when reusing (oem stock) roller lifters?
1. Valve springs with the e303 cam. I'd definitely replace the springs. I'm not a fan of the E cam but lots have used it and like it. There are much better cams available now, check Crower or Crane (seen too many problems with Comp, recommend you stay away from them)

2. Roller rockers replace the factory friction rockers, using same length push rods.

3. For the price, I'd just get a new set of Ford roller lifters, they are reasonably prices and designed to last many miles. Easy to swap while cam is out, much harder when engine is assembled.

Have fun! Changing the cam can certainly change the engine profile and increase the fun factor.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Racer X, do u know off hand which set of springs I need? I've Googled and found 2 different answers. And I'll look into the other cams. Thx

·
Registered
581 Posts
Might have to get longer pushrods with that cam----I had to. 6.3"
Ford Racing has a recommendation for the springs, I do not know the part number right offhand but many of the cam vendors will show the Ford parts suggestions.

Have the e-303 in my 93ish engine with e7 heads.
tiny lil 65 Ranchero.
Car is fun as hell, but not very low RPM friendly.
I have 2.80 rear gears with a 4-spd, and it does not like to
be civil with low speed use. (factory 4spd car--not changing it).
Can hardly take off from a light without lighting tires

Even at 65mph it has not yet got into the 'operating range' of the cam, but once it gets up there, it is quite fun.

I think a stock HO cam might be better for me as the car gets a lot of hiway time mixed with a little traffic time. Those tall rear gears are nice for the hiway---especially when I have an actual commute to work--
It would be nice to idle along in second and not fear getting tossed out when the car starts bucking.

Probably not an issue with an AT car or something with shorter gearing.

I'm not happy with the rest of the build---engine rattles something fierce when cold and has a knock when warmed up--Engine guy does not want to back it so I will try to kill it and start again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Racer X, do u know off hand which set of springs I need? I've Googled and found 2 different answers. And I'll look into the other cams. Thx

Either the replacement stock spec springs as Ford designed the cams to work with their combinations. Check the FMS catalog for installation notes with the E cam. I've run it personally and don't like it. My combination is happier with the B cam as it has more duration for scavenging the exhaust gases. Ford small blocks have long suffered from low exhaust flow numbers and duration can help that issue.

I personally like Crower products and recommend their stock replacement springs for your application.

You need to check open and closed valve spring pressures when you assemble to ensure you won't get valve float and be able to redline with your cam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts