Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a tranny cooler, where does it go, how does it work, and how much?
What is an innercooler, where does it go, how does it work, and how much?
I know these are stupid quesions to most of you, but I would like to know.

Pics would be nice if U got em'.
Thanks
Matt

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
tranny cooler (transmission fluid cooler) - mounts typically in front of the radiator, spliced into the stock trans fluid cooler lines. Helps transmission life.

Intercooler.... used for super or turbo charged cars to cool the air, thereby increasing density and thus power, and also reducing the chance of detonation.

Two similar pieces in terms of design, but two very different functions.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
A tranny cooler is just a transmission cooler. some radiators have them built in, they will have two threaded fitting on the bottom. I think the coolers do a better job, and give you the option to mount it where you would like. An innercooler is for supercharged or turbocharged engines. It cools the incoming air from the heat gained from compressing it. They are either air to air, or water to air. Hope that clears it up.
Chris

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
tranny cooler is a little rad type cooler that hooks up to your tranny instead of to the bottom of the regular rad. Mount it infront of or beside a regular rad(in air stream) to cool the tranny fluid. Alot better than the rad because the rad has hot water cycling thru it and will heat up the tranny fluid to some degree. A tranny cooler is a MUST for any tranny mod, or towing so you dont burn out the tranny. A good one is $70-$100. Can.

An intercooler is for turbo's. Expensive$$$$

1 - 5 of 5 Posts