Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting the HID conversion kit for my headlights, on my 2000 mustang. I currently have aftermarket halo lights. I have a few question I need to know before buying them.

1) Will I need to buy the ballast with the internal regulator or can I just get the standard ballast that comes with the kit?

2) Are the different colored lights the same brightness or are the 6000k (pure white) the brightest?

3) Will I also need to buy the optional canceller cables? It says they are mainly for European cars with computer controlled headlight but some American cars may also require them. I'm not sure if the mustang is one of those cars or not.

I just want to have the correct info before I spend money on something like this. I dont want to waste money on stuff I dont need.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
My 04 had an HID kit of some sort when I bought it. Thought I'd try it. They were just a cheapie "drop in" kit where the ballasts were stuck on the back side of the lenses more or less and bulbs installed into the factory lenses. 6000k bulbs.

HATED them!!! They were "ok" on dry nights but if there was any fog or rain, forget about it. The bulbs are too intense and you see the reflection of the light off of each drop of rain and each droplet of fog. In order to see in front of me I had to aim the headlights higher even on low. Every oncoming car is now brightlighting me, and had gotten pulled over by the local nazis twice (warning ticket once for defective equipment).

Pulled them out...installed incandescent Silverstars and adjusted them, all has been great. No more tickets, rain/fog/snow/ice doesn't bother me a bit, can see further especially on certain types of pavement, nobody brightlighting me all the time and most importantly, oncoming drivers can actually see instead of being blinded. Actually that is a gripe of mine..and one of the very few things that literally piss me off while driving is those stupid HID cheapo kits that drop into the stock lenses. 99% of the time they're a waste of money, not to mention I can't see when they're oncoming. Even the stock HID lamps in the more expensive cars aren't worth pissing on. Too intense. Even with the projectors. They're ok until that car hits a bump and then they're right in your face, might as well have a cop with a flashlight in your face in otherwise total darkness. About the same thing. Matter of fact 3 years ago when I had my '93 LX, I was blinded by some MORON driving with the high beams on that I lost sight of the curve & ran off into a pasture. Very minor damage and the stupid bastad didn't even bother to stop.

Stock lenses and silverstars are perfectly fine unless the lenses are fogged up. THen just polish them and they're like new again. Not rocket science. I wish they'd outlaw the HID "kits" unless they're DOT approved and come with specially designed lenses.

Only thing they're good for is off-road vehicles (ATV's, etc) and bow fishing.

If you don't want to waste money on something you don't need, put the stockers back in. Problem solved!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the lights I have now, the low beams suck big time and the high beams are nice. There are good and bad about that though.

Good: I can drive with high beams on all the time if I want without other cars flashing me. ( I dont know why, but I can get away with it for some reason)

Bad: I shouldn't have to rely on high beams like that all the time. That's not what they were intended for.

I'm not sure about the differences between HID kits though. You either have them come factory with the car or you buy a kit that has a ballast and lights you install into the existing lenses. HID is HID....isn't it?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Well, the lights I have now, the low beams suck big time and the high beams are nice. There are good and bad about that though.

Good: I can drive with high beams on all the time if I want without other cars flashing me. ( I dont know why, but I can get away with it for some reason)

Bad: I shouldn't have to rely on high beams like that all the time. That's not what they were intended for.

I'm not sure about the differences between HID kits though. You either have them come factory with the car or you buy a kit that has a ballast and lights you install into the existing lenses. HID is HID....isn't it?
ever think your lights need adjusting? high beam and nobody flashing you ! I'd say yes they do

1 - 4 of 4 Posts