Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up, i bought a 68 Galaxie 500 convertible a few months ago with a 390. of course i have huge plans for this car,but i have a few questions. Like:

1.)How Many splines do our axles have?

2.) According to "Mallory" cars with 450+ HP should run 1/2 inch or -8 AN fuel line and i see the performer RPM kit should put a 390 at right around that amount of power,So are you "RPM Guys"running 1/2" fuel line or are you just risking fuel starvation?

3.) If youre running 1/2" line,where can i find a matching 1/2" sending unit?is one necessary?

4.)I wanna run some really stiff springs up front with some stiff shocks (these Hooker long tubes just scrape way too much for my liking), any suggestions?

5.)For my street tire i plan on runnin 17x8 rims,any suggestions as to what the proper backspacing should be?

6.)My brake booster went out a month or so ago,any ideas as to what other car it might be interchangeable with (it has Front Discs)?

7.)who offers some good sway bars for these beasts,god knows it needs em.

i think thats all for now,any answers would be greatly apprciated THANKS!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Boosters can be bought new everywhere for your application. If you have a factory rear end; you most likely have a 9" with 28 spline. For 68 Im not sure of the gear ratio. Look at the bolts that put the middle section to the axle, if there is a metal tag on there, remove the nut holding it on, replace the nut, then gently using fast orange hand cleaner, rub the rust off by rubbing it between your fingers until it is clean. Be patient, it will take a few minutes if the tag is real rusty. Do this until you can read the numbers on the tag. Then well go from there.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot for the info but i already looked at the tag (my car is very clean for the age and was able to read it) . My cars a One legger with 2.75 gears,which i dont mind much cuz eventually ill be going with something closer to 4.11 gears. I picked up this car for $2500 with a new top (and it WORKS!) straight body,except for like 2 dings, no rust a good running engine (damn points distributor!) that doesnt smoke, and an interior without any rips in it.Ill post pics maybe tomorrow if its not raining.Anyways i just saw the sickest Galaxie in my life with 15inch welds and im definately in love with those now.Will 15x10 rims fit in the back?What would be the backspacing needed?something like 6.5"?If i were to opt for the 15x8 what backspacing should i go with so tht 275/60s fit in there?id prefer the 10nchers BTW For the fronts id go with either the 5 or 6in rims..Oh yeah i got my car weighed at the truck stop and its about 4200 with me in it just a useless piece of info for you guys.

sorry i keep editing this post but,i want a 3 or 4 inch cowl hood, anybody out there sell all fiberglass ones?or do i have to order one of those that have to be molded or bolted on??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MauriSSio on 3/6/06 4:49pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MauriSSio on 3/6/06 5:03pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MauriSSio on 3/6/06 5:35pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Heh: ya better check the engine code on that car!!!

Last week a friend and I went to a junkyard and the guy had a very decent car like that. Had 390 emblems on the front fender. My friend bought the car for about $7000.00. I thought he had lost his mind.

When he drove the car home we checked the code. Turned out to be a W-Code, 427ci, 390 HP engine. That is the only year that I can find a 427 with hyd. lifters. and they had 390 on the front fenders.

Yup: we checked the numbers and it is a 427...

·
Registered
339 Posts
1.)How Many splines do our axles have?

28-spline

2.) According to "Mallory" cars with 450+ HP should run 1/2 inch or -8 AN fuel line and i see the performer RPM kit should put a 390 at right around that amount of power,So are you "RPM Guys"running 1/2" fuel line or are you just risking fuel starvation?

3/8 would be the minimum. 1/2 would be extra insurance.

3.) If youre running 1/2" line,where can i find a matching 1/2" sending unit?is one necessary?

You won't fine one off the shelf, you'll have to modify the stock one. Do a search on the web, you'll find some good online articles about fitting and brazing in a new pipe in the sender.

4.)I wanna run some really stiff springs up front with some stiff shocks (these Hooker long tubes just scrape way too much for my liking), any suggestions?

Call or go online to Eaton-Detroit Spring. They can make you custom springs at any spring rate and any lift or lowering.

5.)For my street tire i plan on runnin 17x8 rims,any suggestions as to what the proper backspacing should be?

My car is a '65, which has the same suspension, but a different quarter panel and wheel opening. I had to run 5" backspace on my 15x8 rims to get them tucked under with 245/60-15s

6.)My brake booster went out a month or so ago,any ideas as to what other car it might be interchangeable with (it has Front Discs)?

Ford used different booster on different cars sometimes within the same year. Check with AutoZone, they actually can order them for older cars and are cheaper than many of the Reproduction companies.

7.)who offers some good sway bars for these beasts,god knows it needs em.

I adapted the sway bar from a '78 Tbird (1 1/8&quot
. Most of the Mid 70s intermediate size fords (full frame cars) use a very similar front suspension to the '65 and newer galaxie. Hit the pick and pull and measure bar diameters till you find the right one. It goes on with a slight mod to the frame brackets--you just need to drill a couple of new holes in the frame. Takes an hour or two is all. Made a BIG difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.