Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
That was a good one. If you haven't read this one yet it's interesting also. Woody's Fairlane site has tons of great info that will also pertain to our Galaxies. Like the little things even, like removing the headlight or ignition switch. Check out the main page and there is a complete section on FE engines.

http://www.woodyg.com/fairlane/390years.html

Deb

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
...and I always thought FE stood for Fricken Expensive. :^)

Good reading. Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
322 Posts
There is at least one piece of mis-info there, he refers to 427-W-code 1969 Mustangs when in fact , it was 1968, and secondly, he claims documented examples of these when it's been determined that none were ever built. While W-code hydraulic 427s were to have been available in Fairlane-Torino, Galaxie, Mustang,
Comet-Montego-Cyclone and Cougar, only a handful of Cougars,
the GTE version, got the motor

·
Registered
92 Posts
You are correct Roger, and there are a lot of people who claim to have seen a W-code Mustang, or a cammer Galaxie thats original. It has been a hot debate topic for sure.

·
Registered
228 Posts
To them, I'd say show me the Marti Report. The exotic "W"s will have a build sheet.

I've had several, and FWIW, the GT390 would get with it. Traction in 1st required a very sensitive foot, 2nd wasn't a lot better. I thought it was pretty strong at the time.

As for 390s being stones, Ford was late to the power party and conservative when they arrived. To keep warranty costs down, they got valvesprings that would float 500 rpm under the failure mode of the con rods, smallish valves, non adjustable rockers constipated exhaust systems , and tall axles that would keep them from winding up too tight, all stuff that Pontiac and Chevy and Mopar had worked out years before.

If you could chin all the mods it would take to undo the above, a 390 would git widdit in the hands of a good driver. It would take a pretty hard running Chevy to take a BBF down.

I'd agree with what most of the articles have to say, but I was fooling with them before a lot of the guys writing the stories were born. So take this with a grain of salt ... and some secret sauce from Blazo's Drive in.

FE means Ford Edsel, just like MEL means Mercury Edsel Lincoln and FT means Ford Truck. No biggie. Always thought it was ironic that FE was the chemical symbol for iron...

Any FE engine needs to be chemically de-rusted and sonic reported before going under the boring bar if you want to be sure it won't go soft under high cylinder pressures (N2O, over 11:1 compression). It's ridiculous to say you can't bore a 427 -- they have more meat than most of the thinwall motors, and the 65 1/2 and up engines have oval cores that put more meat on the thrust side.

A lot of guys just think special foundry had too many beers at Joe-Joes over lunch when they see sonic reports that vary by over .100 in the same bore. (A Rouge Plant joke, sorry).

A lot of the late 390s and 428 blocks were service parts and you have no idea of what core sets were used to make them. I've seen a 428 with a wall that had .090 left at standard bore (turns out Ford just took a bunch of 390s and punched them .080" to fill the orders)

A cast crank is fine up to 600 hp and no power adders, as long as it is prepped right. Oiling system mods are mandatory, like getting the CJ adapter and opening up the passages to match the gasket.

HP heads are not that easy to come by, sorry to say, the date code guys are sucking them up big time. Edelbrock is making all of that irrelevant, so don't bother.

A set of stock rods that are sized, balanced and heat treated to reset the grain structure will hold up to all the rpms that stock heads will tolerate (it's outta gas at 6000 anyway, prolly a little less with that heavy valvetrain).

IMHO, a good standard bore 390, with a 428 crank, blueprinted stock rods, silvolites, the CJ mods to the oiling system and the Edelbrock upper end (but f*** that AFB) with a 750 Holley or Demon and some decent headers will pull a Fairlane or Galaxie around like a slingshot and pull like a mother up to 6000. Give it at least 3.50 gears and a good convertor, too, and put some tire on it to get the power down.

It's what I'm going to do when I find my next BBF,

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts