Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like this is a dumb questions, but I have a 65 Falcon that I just put an electric fan on and all I have left is the wires to the sending unit and a 'hot' or ignition power wire. When running wires to my sending unit, and the coil being right there, can I just use the positive terminal on the coil for my ignition power source?

I was gonna do it, but I thought I should check here first. I was unsure if that would be a poor source of power, but that's where the juice goes when I turn the key on, right?

If not the coil, what would be a good source on the passenger side of the engine bay?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Not dumb...

You want a directly connected source from the BAT via a fuse and relay.

You do not want to rob IGN CIR power.

SCHEMATIC- PAINLESS WIRING

·
Registered
340 Posts
I always pulled it off the BAT side of the solenoid. I'd pull directly off the battery, but that's been relocated.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I was unsure if that would be a poor source of power, but that's where the juice goes when I turn the key on, right?

If not the coil, what would be a good source on the passenger side of the engine bay?

Thanks

Never power anything from the ign wire to coil. That said there isnt anything on the pass side of the car that is 'key on' control really. Would be better to do a stand alone circuit from the ign switch to a relay to turn on the fans fan(s), as they usually pull a LOT of amps on start up. You can then pull the fan power source directly from the battery with a heavy gauge wire and a big fuse or circuit breaker.
MO of course...

MRO.....

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I always pulled it off the BAT side of the solenoid. I'd pull directly off the battery, but that's been relocated.
Same thing. Either directly from the BAT + post or the solenoid (which I prefer). The schematic was generic. Proper fuse size is important. This allows high amp not to be run through the cabin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all! Looks like I should have been more specific, but I believe Mr. Old Fart (from my Mom's home town of Amarillo) got my meaning. For the fusable link to the battery, yes, I used the terminal on the solenoid (also because the battery has been moved to the rear of the vehicle).

What I am looking for is a place to connect my small wire (16ga?) that is supposed to be connected to "ignition". I believe this wire will give juice to the relay, which will in turn allow the fan to turn on when the temp sensor says its time.

I was trying not to run a wire all the way to the fuse box and splice it in somewhere under the hood.

With that, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What I am looking for is a place to connect my small wire (16ga?) that is supposed to be connected to "ignition". I believe this wire will give juice to the relay, which will in turn allow the fan to turn on when the temp sensor says its time.

I was trying not to run a wire all the way to the fuse box and splice it in somewhere under the hood.

With that, any other suggestions?

Thanks!
I would also direct feed it with a relay and fuse (signal from RUN on IGN SW). Not off the IGN CIRCUIT. How much AMP will it carry? Is it a SGL or DUAL Fan? One or two speed?

See why questions are important?

Or wait for F to come on. He is psychic you know... ;)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What IGN TYPE are you running? Maybe trip both the IGN BOX relay and Fan relay off IGN SW signal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pertronix distributor - no points, I do not think HEI. Single fan, single speed and not sure of the amperage. I was given a 30 and 40 amp fuse to use in the link to the battery terminal. There was no mention in the directions to use a fusable link to the ignition source.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the wires to the solenoid is a smaller gauge (not sure if its the S or I terminal) and I spliced into that. Nothing blew up, so will test further when I can make my job go away!

Thanks

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Pertronix distributor - no points, I do not think HEI. Single fan, single speed and not sure of the amperage. I was given a 30 and 40 amp fuse to use in the link to the battery terminal. There was no mention in the directions to use a fusable link to the ignition source.
Did the instructions (PERTRONIX) suggest a full BAT + source?

One of the wires to the solenoid is a smaller gauge (not sure if its the S or I terminal) and I spliced into that. Nothing blew up, so will test further when I can make my job go away!

·
Registered
576 Posts

Thanks
Neither of those terminals will provide 12v to trigger your fan relay. They only have power when the key is in the crank position.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
KULTULZ: I don't know. The Pertronix distributor has been on the car for a while, I didn't consult with the data sheet.

Bikesandfires: That's what I thought as well. I tested the terminal with the key off and no power. I tested the terminal with the key on and had power. I don't have really long arms so I could not test with the key in crank mode, but I did start the car, pulled the wire off the terminal and tested it and had power. Thus I thought it was a candidate for my ignition source.

I drove the car a bit and brought it home before the thermostat opened so I could watch it. Temp gauge reached around 195 and the fan came on. It ran for a while and the temp gauge dropped to about 180 and the fan turned off.

I agree with you, I was not expecting those wires to be a source. Nothing has been changed with the wiring or solenoid for years, so I guess that's just the way it is. I am normally a Pontiac guy so I am still figuring out Fords. Not sure if that means anything, but the solenoids are different from what I am used to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts