Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we've made a little headway this week but not as much as I would have liked. Ran into a 'Aw, rats' on my cage. I had originally purchased the cage for the '83 T-Bird I started with my son. We abandoned the 'Bird and went to the Coupe and the main hoop from the 'Bird was gonna fit the coupe perfect. Well, it ain't gonna fit the Falcon. So I call Kevin at AM and ask if he would bend up a main hoop for me. Calls me back next day, they don't have a template for a '68 Falcon. So we won't be on the cage until next weekend.

We did get the subframe connectors in, however.



I have been ordering parts like I could afford 'em. Got my axles, retainers, bearings & studs (Dutchman) yesterday, Line-Lock Thursday and Wilwood dual master cylinder pedal assembly and cylinders on Wednesday. Went with a 7/8" cylinder for the front and a 1" cylinder for the rear.

Here's a shot of the as yet un-welded adapter plate we made for the cylinder mount. (Still have to fab the pedal mount. This is all going where the original fuse panel / harness plug was located.)



I also have a foam board mock up of my dash panel, which will be made of aluminum. I'm eliminating the dash pad and cluster and just running a bent sheet from the bottom of the windshield to the top of the lower dash. I'll mount my tach, shift light, guages, switch panel and fuse block to that.

Also pulled the front brakes apart today. Time for all new, backing plates out, plus drums. Guess it's off to NAPA for those.

Tomorrow the rear end comes out in preperation for the spring relocation.

If I could just do this all week instead of workin' I'd be done a lot sooner.

Murff

_________________
Anybody can restore a car. It takes a real man to cut one up.
_____________________________________

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Murff on 2/26/06 8:09am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Murff on 2/26/06 8:10am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Murff on 2/26/06 8:12am ]</font>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,950 Posts
I have the measurements for the '66 and up Falcon rear hoop if you need them. On the brakes, if you want to save sowe weight, I used the 10" rear drums on the front of my '66 and saved app. 7 lbs. per side. the stock drums were the heavy finned type. You will also save a little weight as the shoes needed for the new drums will be 1 3/4" shoes instead of the 2 1/2" stock shoes. She'll still stop great as I have done this before. You have to modify the backing plate, (grind the lip off) but the drum will slip right over the center register on the hub. Every little bit helps. I'll post some pics of the completed front end asap.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,950 Posts
On 2006-02-28 19:02, rancheroo wrote:
F15 - I 'd be interested in any measurements you have for the 66 & later Falcon. Also, as usual, pics would be great. I just got a notcher for my drill press & have been 'practicing' on chain link fence posts.

Rick
I have my notcher bolted to a table with a variable speed 1/2" drill motor powering it, it offers far more control than the drill press does, plus you cannot vary the speed of the drill press.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top