Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

this week i get my 66 7Litre Convertible. I import it direct from US, dont know another 7L around here.
Since i can not compare my Gal to another i like to ask you, the professionals, to help me identifying the wrong
and missing parts at my Gal.
The Plan is to restore it correct.

First i will list the Part Numbers and Tags i found:

Block: C6ME / Date 5J21 / 22 DIF

Exhaust RH: C6AE-9430-A / Date 5J25

Exhaust LH: (wrong?) (see picture) no Codes Found

Intake: Dual Quad, oval Ford Logo, no Codes Found

Carbs: Both Holley 1848-1 / 3451

Distributor: no codes found

Fan: S C5AE-C

Heads: C0AE 8090C (wrong?)

Service Cover Fly Wheel: C5AP-7986-E

Transmission Tag: DDP 012236

Rear Axle Tag: WDT R 3.25 5KA 203

Thanks for your Help!

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Besides getting some answers here, I think one of the first things to do would be to register with the 7 Litre Registry, or at least email them to get some info. There's also lots of information on their website. 7 Litre Home Page

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Screw the 7 liter home page, We can help you out also, who push them away from our INCREDIBLE forums to the forums of the stuffy elitists? :)

Block: C6ME / Date 5J21 / 22 DIF That's a 1966 Block built at the Dearborn Iron Foundry on September 21st 1965. The Block can be a 390 block OR a 428 block, only the Bore will tell and or the Numbers found inside the water jackets or on the back of the block inside the bell housing area.

Exhaust RH: C6AE-9430-A / Date 5J25 This is a correct 428 Manifold.

Exhaust LH: (wrong?) (see picture) no Codes Found Picture 9 shows a Left hand 390 TRUCK manifold.

Intake: Dual Quad, oval Ford Logo, no Codes Found There should be a part number, probably a C3AE 9425-A

Carbs: Both Holley 1848-1 / 3451 465 CFM Holley Vacuum secondary street performance carb available over the counter for $365 bucks..

Distributor: no codes found The Distributor part numbers are where the yellow arrow is pointing.

Fan: S C5AE-C 1965 Ford 352-390 With AC I think...

Heads: C0AE 8090C (wrong?) This is a 1960 352 head.

Service Cover Fly Wheel: C5AP-7986-E Simply fords C6 inspection plate part number for all FE's.

Transmission Tag: DDP 012236 Missing numbers here but looks like a C6.

Rear Axle Tag: WDT R 3.25 5KA 203 9 3/8" 31 spline standard rear for 66-70 Ford cars 3.25 ratio.

I hope that was helpful to you. Once you get the distributor part numbers let us know.

Welcome to the FM Forums :)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

Are you sure you read the casting nos correctly? 6090 is a cyl head casting no basic. The C0 may be C6.

There was not A 428 8V released other than the 1967 GT-5OO 428PI. Can you see any casting nos. on the intake?

Also good idea on 7-LITER REGISTRY- http://www.7litre.org/Registry.html

Why am I seeing blue FE... :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Am I on KULTULZ's ignore list now, because I already mentioned the 7 litre registry?
Must be because I used Chevy calipers and MC. :)

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Not a chance Darlene, your'e on ignore simply becasue you deserve it :) :) :)

Kultulz, you are seeing blue cause I am blue cause you don't like me. :(

1: The heads are 1960 352 Heads.

2: The Intake is NOT STOCK to that car, which is why he will likely see a C3 casting and not a C5 (which don't exist as you well know)

3: I used blue to help the foreign kid differentiate between my font and his...... LOL ;) Wink wink nudge nudge...

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Apparently there were a very few 427s in the '66 7 litre.
Nah......it couldn't be could it?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Not a 427 with a C6ME casting. Definitely NOT a 427 NOR a 428 with 352 heads.

The head Casting starting with C0 is a 1960, the only FE in 1960 was the 352. The 6090 versus 6080 is pretty much moot in a 1960 casting. I believe the 6080 head casting is the 360 HP 352 for 1960, and is not a type O. I've seen mention of several of the 6080 casting error or misnomers over the last 6 or 8 years. So maybe it is a 428 and maybe it's not a 428 (likely not), but the heads and intake are definitely NOT a 428.
With the distributor casting number stamped where I indicated in the above photograph, we can isolate that part of the engine also.

Taking a head off and reading the top of the Piston then measuring the Bore, will be the ONLY true telling of the engine size.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Yeah I realized that, but just throwing a spanner in the works trying to explain the intake. Maybe it WAS one, and the engine was replaced. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey, thanks for all these Informations.

The Car is already registrated at 7l,
this happens some years ago by first owner.

I check the engine stroke (thru the spark plug holes) and get
100mm means 3,98" ?

A Buddy told me the flywheel with holes like
a tire Wheel is typical for a 428? See pict.

by the way, where i can get correct 2x4 holleys?
Also i need a new steering Wheel since the shipper/ Trucker
separates the ring and broke it appart.
is a mustang 67 deluxe steeringwheel the same?

thanks again
joe

PS. it isnt a 427 since the Block dont have the side main cap bolts
compared to the block in my GT-E.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Am I on KULTULZ's ignore list now, because I already mentioned the 7 litre registry?
Why would that ensure your banishment from KULTULZ COMMUNICATIONS AND USED CARS SALES?

Must be because I used Chevy calipers and MC. :)
More likely...

Why would you allow it to bother you?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The head Casting starting with C0 is a 1960, the only FE in 1960 was the 352. The 6090 versus 6080 is pretty much moot in a 1960 casting. I believe the 6080 head casting is the 360 HP 352 for 1960, and is not a type O. I've seen mention of several of the 6080 casting error or misnomers over the last 6 or 8 years. So maybe it is a 428 and maybe it's not a 428 (likely not), but the heads and intake are definitely NOT a 428.

With the distributor casting number stamped where I indicated in the above photograph, we can isolate that part of the engine also.

Taking a head off and reading the top of the Piston then measuring the Bore, will be the ONLY true telling of the engine size.
FE... I want you to take your pack off and smoke 'em if you got them...

6090 IS the Basic PN for an Engineering/Casting ID cylinder head. Part No. 6049 is the Basic PN for a Service Part.

There are no variations (each and every part has it's own Basic PN) other than late fifties when a different system was used. This is demonstrated by the 1960 352HP having an EDC prefix, not the later four character prefix. The 1960 352HP cyl head was actually the early 1958 352 solid lifter cyl head.

As for the 8V induction, I am a$$-u-ming a previous owner installed a take-off set to simulate a 7-LITRE with the 427 option. You would source the correct carbs for the 1966 427 8V. This also depends on the intake. It may be a LR, MR or the later C7ZX. He has to identify the intake.

The AC top sports a 428 BIRD. Go figure.

If the VIN 5th character is Q, the car came through assembled with the Pass Car 428.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, forget to say:
its a Q-Code 428 C6.

Door Tag reads

6U63Qxxxxxx

76D T 85 09K 65 4 4

Intake has NO Number on top, exept firing Order.
Have another Projekt FE sitting in Stock, has the same
2x 4 on it, also no number ???

Joe

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I think that after 63 teh 2 X 4 intake did come numberless. I've seen a lot of them on peoples shelves...

And Kultulz, I'm smoking one now. (not really cause I stopped 7 years ago but I'm imitating it)

I KNOW, the casting number 6090 is for a head. I also KNOW that the C0AE is a 352 head period. Whether run of the mill or big HP, it's a 352 head. I Have also seen mentioned that the casting number 8090 has been seen before. Not that it's NOT a type or or a casting flash, but it's been mentioned previously somewhere...

And the Stroke don't mean anything in a FE.. It can have any FE stroke and still have a 428 block, but it CANNOT be a 428 if it does NOT have a 428 BORE.... ANn it's obviously not a 427 without cross bolting.

So that leaves the fact that he can get almost as much info here at FM as he can at 7 liter place. And the Engine can ONLY be identified at this point by Either gauging the bore, opening a block plug and checking for the sometimes seen 428 in the water jacket, or removing the tranny and checking the bell housing for the tell tale marks in the casting back there.
We still have the Distributor part numbers to diagnose...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What I am implying (or trying to) is he misread the casting no. If he read 8090, the C0 may be in error also. It should be C6AE.

As for the 7-LITRE REGISTRY, the info and knowledge has already been gathered there,

I believe the TOTAL PERFORMANCE KITS (6V-8V) of the sixties had no intake casting marks as they were not actually assembly/service part releases.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Intake has NO Number on top, exept firing Order.

Have another Projekt FE sitting in Stock, has the same
2x 4 on it, also no number ???

Joe
It is the ACCESSORY 8V kit offered during that period. It would also most likely not have the correct 427 Stamping Nos or proper LIST Nos on the carb air horn(s).

If you would want it to appear as an original 427 8V install, you can buy the correct carbs used or HOLLEY offers correct repros, but why?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Screw the 7 liter home page, We can help you out also, who push them away from our INCREDIBLE forums to the forums of the stuffy elitists? :)

Block: C6ME / Date 5J21 / 22 DIF That's a 1966 Block built at the Dearborn Iron Foundry on September 21st 1965. The Block can be a 390 block OR a 428 block, only the Bore will tell and or the Numbers found inside the water jackets or on the back of the block inside the bell housing area.

Exhaust RH: C6AE-9430-A / Date 5J25 This is a correct 428 Manifold.

Exhaust LH: (wrong?) (see picture) no Codes Found Picture 9 shows a Left hand 390 TRUCK manifold.

Intake: Dual Quad, oval Ford Logo, no Codes Found There should be a part number, probably a C3AE 9425-A

Carbs: Both Holley 1848-1 / 3451 465 CFM Holley Vacuum secondary street performance carb available over the counter for $365 bucks..

Distributor: no codes found The Distributor part numbers are where the yellow arrow is pointing.

Fan: S C5AE-C 1965 Ford 352-390 With AC I think...

Service Cover Fly Wheel: C5AP-7986-E Simply fords C6 inspection plate part number for all FE's.

Transmission Tag: DDP 012236 Missing numbers here but looks like a C6.

Rear Axle Tag: WDT R 3.25 5KA 203 9 3/8" 31 spline standard rear for 66-70 Ford cars 3.25 ratio.

I hope that was helpful to you. Once you get the distributor part numbers let us know.

Welcome to the FM Forums :)
Hello,

about the Heads:
i am nearly 100% sure about the Number C0AE 8090(C)
but: (C) maybe can be a "0"
since the numbers are not in Line, maybe the 2nd part should be turn 180Deg.
so it reads 00608

tomorrow i will post a pict.

about the distributor:
its VERY hard to read due corrosion
there is a I2I27
D(orC) 6(or3) TF
?17

? means there is a number or character but not readable

thanks a lot

joe

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is the ACCESSORY 8V kit offered during that period. It would also most likely not have the correct 427 Stamping Nos or proper LIST Nos on the carb air horn(s).

If you would want it to appear as an original 427 8V install, you can buy the correct carbs used or HOLLEY offers correct repros, but why?
but since its a 428 make it sense?
will the 2x4 destroy the torque in lower RPM?

is it better to go back for a stock 4V with stock intake?

are the 352 heads better than the stock 428 heads?
bigger Valves or higher compression?
or do the previous owner put it on without thinking about the result?

so much ?s

Thanks

joe

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hello,

about the Heads:
i am nearly 100% sure about the Number C0AE 8090(C)
but: (C) maybe can be a "0"
since the numbers are not in Line, maybe the 2nd part should be turn 180Deg.
so it reads 00608
HUH? What they are saying if the FIRST 4 digits ARE C0AE, that dictates a 1960 casting. Then was mentioned that maybe its C6AE which would then make it a 1966 casting. Been toooo long ago and I dont remember the CORRECT 428 Casting Codes, CRS is hell to have.
tomorrow i will post a pict.
THAT would be best AND would settle the unknowns...
about the distributor:
there is a I2I27
D(orC) 6(or3) TF
?17

thanks a lot

joe
No help from me on the dizzy.... all I recognize is the 12127 which is the no's for a dizzy.... Rest of it is written in greek, or maybe chinese, or even hebrew....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
about the distributor:
there is a I2I27
D(orC) 6(or3) TF
?17

thanks a lot

joe

No help from me on the dizzy.... all I recognize is the 12127 which is the no's for a dizzy.... Rest of it is written in greek, or maybe chinese, or even hebrew....
MAYBE a C6AF ?....
To much corrosion... i try to grind it gently, no way to read more...

1 - 20 of 93 Posts