Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an AWESOME Boss 429 on ebay right now and I've always wondered what kind of power they put out, Lets say a guy back in 1969 purchased one and went to a pro tuner and had the distributor re-curved and timing re-done, without adding any parts to the car, just what was under the hood when it rolled off of the showroom floor, what would the horsepower and torque be on this engine ?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
hmm from what ive read the '49 is a good engine but from the factory its strangled as far as performance goes. 375 gross hp at the flywheel.
The cam is too small. the carb is too small and the factory tune over all i think was for emissions.
If you can afford to buy and restore that car, Then id say go for it. In a few years youll get your value out of it.
Word of caution though. The parts you need to make it real again are going to run you at least 30,000+ a full 'frame off' rotisary ( spell ) restoration for another 30,000+ the cost of the car which is pushing 55,000. Thats over 100,000. Too rich for my blood.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
A good tuning job back in 69 would get you about 425Hp with 510 TQ. Using the stock cam and carb is your biggest problem. That and the factory cast iron headers. I've seen articles that just a little bigger solid cam, 850 Holley and steel headers= 550HP easy.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Like Dacofa said with a few minor mods they can pump out an easy 550 to 600 hp. They will really wake up with a few tweaks.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hotrodpinto- im not going to buy the car i was just wondering about performance. besides, i only buy Thunderbolts ........ DUUUUH !

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
For many reasons (mostly political) the BOSS 429 always had a shadow label of dog-motor. No need to re-hash the NASCAR politics of the day... each of the big three loved to try and get each others motors disqaulified (ie. chevs mystery 396, ford SOHC).
In reality the potential of the BOSS 429 is remarkable, but it was extremely de-tuned for the street. Low end tourque was always a concern with those HUGE heads and exhaust ports... and we all know that torque is king on the street. Thats why the 428 CJ is routinely considered the best street motor of all time.
Dream car garage recently did a shootout of the 7 greatest musclecars... and the BOSS 429 won. It even beat the vaunted Hemi-Cuda, Buick 455 GS and Chevelle SS 454 LS6. It opened a few eyes (more like reminded) in the muscle car industry as to how great the BOSS 429 was in street trim... let alone uncorked.
With the numbers all BOSS cars are getting... we "normal" people will just have to dream...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thordane65 on 6/8/06 12:18am ]</font>

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would think with a performance intake such as a tunnel ram or a big dominator with large cam to breath as much as the heads do you could easily get more than 550hp. The entire 385 series of performance motors, 429CJ, SCJ, and Boss are all under rated in my opinion. From the factory the 68-70 429 4V passenger car had 480 ft lbs of torque at 2800 rpm 360hp at 4600. Still great numbers from a passenger car motor that is not a performance version. Chris

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Ford wanted all engines to idle smoothly at 750RPMs in gear. That was the drumer the engine developers had to march to. That's why most engines are as detuned as they are. Shelby didn't march to that drumer. 429SCJ was under cammed as compared to the LS6 Chevy. Put the same cam specs in a 429CJ/SCJ or Boss and Dodge and Chevy wouldn't stand a chance. Plus the 850 that the LS6 had alone is worth 20HP on the 429CJ/SCJ & Boss. So just think what a factory 2x4s and bigger cam would have done in the Boss. Even today people are trying to bring the Boss back into NHRA to race against the Hemi, but NHRA is making the rules so it can't compete. Gee I wonder we. Back in the NASCAR days of the Boss 429 they made about 700HP. Yates and Roush said they could easily get twice that out of them now. That's why the 355 cubic inch rules in NASCAR now. otherwise Chevy couldn't compete.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/8/06 10:54pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-06-07 23:07, dacofa wrote:
Ford wanted all engines to idle smoothly at 750RPMs in gear. That was the drumer the engine developers had to march to. That's why most engines are as detuned as they are. Shelby didn't march to that drumer. 429SCJ was under cammed as compared to the LS6 Chevy. Put the same cam specs in a 429CJ/SCJ or Boss and Dodge and Chevy wouldn't stand a chance. Plus the 850 that the LS6 had alone is worth 20HP on the 429CJ/SCJ & Boss. So just think what a factory 2x4s and bigger cam would have done in the Boss. Even today people are trying to bring the Boss back into NHRA to race against the Hemi, but NHRA is making the rules so it can't compete. Gee I wonder we. Back in the NASCAR days of the Boss 429 they made about 700HP. Yates and Roush said they could easily get twice that out of them now. That's why the 355 cubic inch rules in NASCAR now. otherwise Chevy couldn't compete.
...not arguing against anything said so far.

But my opinion about NASCAR, as if I really cared...concerning bringing back to Big blocks?

Even with all the restrictions they have on the "spec" 355 ci engines, the speeds are once again right on the edge of what the tracks will hold!

You can bet...If they unleashed a swarm of 400 + cubic inch engines...there will be law suits coming out the ying yang the next time there is a big crash. They barely avoided one upon the crash and death of a big name driver a few years back. There were dozens of lawyers chomping at the bit to find a reason to sue NASCAR. They had congressional inquiries about safety regulations, sizes of the tracks, ... like I said, they dodged a bullet on that one. They even tried to put the blame on the seat restraint company...strange, since their inspectors "had" to certifiy the car before it was allowed on the track.

With the current politics, liigation and liablity of racing...you'll never see another free breathing Big block take an Official run during a sanctioned race. There is no such thing a racing any more. It's the "T-ball" mentality at work. Same with the NFL, Baseball, basketball ... all the national sports drafts; the game is rigged from the start to punish any team that is too good. We substitute the idea of "fair and balanced" in place of "run what'cha brung".

So, Straight up competition? .... It ain't gonna happen. With NASCAR, it ain't happened in a long, long time.

PS. I especially agree with the statement about Ford performance engines and factory exhaust; ... when they were new, the first thing you had to do was change out the factory exhaust manifolds for headers. Nobody seriously ever ran them with factory headers...even the much sought after cast iron headers on the big car 427's were more often than not swapped for headers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/8/06 4:19pm ]</font>

·
Registered
91 Posts
Back in the NASCAR days of the Boss 429 they made about 700HP. Yates and Roush said they could easily get twice that out of them now. That's why the 355 cubic inch rules in NASCAR now. otherwise Chevy couldn't compete.
I love it!!!

About NHRA, what they did about 3 years ago was make a rule change on the bore spacing, I don't have the exact numbers, but I know that it left the BOSS 429 high and dry, also filtered out a couple of teams that were putting together programs running the BOSS 429.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
I remember watching NASCAR "Grand National" back in the late 60s and early 70s, when you could get it on TV. Cars were easy to tell apart and the engines were just plain brutes. A couple of years ago Rusty Wallace took a car around Tallegaga without a restirctor plate for NASCAR to see what would happen. He averaged 229MPH and said he could probably get another 5 out of it too. Bill Elliott still holds the record of 218 qualifying there. They redid a 72 Grand Torino with a Boss 429 and let him drive it around Tallegaga. He loved it with the TQ it had. "You don't have to take a few laps to get up to speed, it's up there by turn 2". But no, you'll never see it loose in NASCAR again, or in NHRA. They still are a screamer. I wish Ford had put them in the Torino instead of the Stang.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Not to be a member of the "third party" but in that episode of Dream Car Garage, they routinely mentioned that the Challenger suffered from a bad clutch which didn't make the competition fair.
Anyway, looking at the FRPP catalog, I don't think the NHRA disqualified the Boss 429 on the premise of bore spacing alone since all 385 series big blocks have the same spacing so that would leave the 429, 460, and 514 out of luck (not including bored/stroked versions of each).

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Yeah how cool would it be if either the NHRA or NASCAR actually allowed some diversity. Hell, maiby some hardcore race fans migh acually be interested in those series again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ujt389 on 6/10/06 1:16am ]</font>

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did anyone see the Hot Rod article about the BOSS heads on teh 460. Makes me wonder how much one could sell repro heads for in a limited run. A mint I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Freakin' Attorney's !! They can screw up anything for money........... As far as NASCAR, NHRA, Ect. Their is very little (IMO) difference in any thing any more !! It's all just a matter of who's sticker is on the valve cover !! The are all going to run the same body's next year (?) in NASCAR !! WTF........ How about bringing back STOCK CAR Racing, Factory Body, Factory Production Engine...........

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't think the NHRA disqualified the Boss 429 on the premise of bore spacing alone since all 385 series big blocks have the same spacing so that would leave the 429, 460, and 514 out of luck (not including bored/stroked versions of each).
The Boss 429 has a distance of 4.9 inches from center to center on the bore. NHRA cameout in 2004 and announced that the limit on bore spacing would be 4.84 inches.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
That seems odd that they would eliminate the whole 385 series big block though.
In terms of NASCAR, you can't really call it stock car racing anymore because they are absolutely no similarities between the raced version of the car and the street. At least in the 60's, you could get a part of the race vehicle on your street car.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not much to add here, but ...

If you want to know what one could have done, Tasca Ford built one up called "Street Boss" and laid out the challenge that if any street legal car could take it, he'd pay them something like $5000.

That engine was done right, 2X4's, solid cam, headers, etc, with a full S/S prep on the chassis. Think it was low -11/ high 10 second car when it was all done.

If you have some extra time, google Boss 429 heads and go to Larry Widmer's ("The Old One&quot
site for some interesting Boss info and discussion, read up on the 'soft head' concept. Can't belive the car compaines ren't all over that right now.

BOB

1 - 20 of 31 Posts