Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things went a bit late but in the final round it was the classic Ford vs. Chevy matchup.

Lane 1. Bad Boy Black 69 Camaro!

Lane 2. BattlestarOne 63 Galaxie!

The Camaro got out first but the Big Ford ran him down and that was that!

I thought this was a pretty cool night shot. I smiled for the camera but the teardrop got in the way.........

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cookie on 8/14/06 7:49am ]</font>

·
Registered
158 Posts
hey greg what are some specs on that engine and trans in your 63, i'm building a 557 around 11:1 with the blue thunder heads and the dual quad intake. for my 63 with undetermined trans yet, looking at doing the big input/output toploader, but undecided i'd like to get the front end in the air like yours, hopefully my combo will work.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Greg that's a cool photo.

I've always liked the old black and white photos
taken at nite where you can see the drivers faces,
as they leave the line.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randall on 8/14/06 9:35am ]</font>

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine is a 2 bolt D1VE block with a main girdle. Scat 4.5 arm X .080" over for a 557". Eagle BBC 6.8" rods. JE flat tops with valve reliefs. Aluminum 429CJ heads (old style from '98 ) bring C.R. to around 14:1. I did some backyard porting on the heads, hitting the exhaust side pretty hard but just a basic cleanup on the intake side. Intake is a stock (unmodified) Victor Jr. with a #9375 1050 Dominator, also unmodified except jet extensions on the rear side. MSD ignition. Comp Solid Roller .727/.727 268*/274* 112 ( as far as I remember anyway). 9 qt Milodon pan.

Performance Automatics Super Comp C-4 less brake. I tried a trans brake, but I didn't like it so I went back to foot brake.

4.30 Detroit in a HRW case with Moser axles.

The car runs pretty well and the engine has proven to be pretty durable. It's been together for 5 years and other than a ring and bearing job nothing has been done to it. It cracked an oil pump once and a pickup another time and about 3 weeks ago the front welded seam on the Milidon pan carcked and dumped.

The weak points are the heads and the headers. The CJ heads just barely keep up with the 557 inches.

And the headers are Charlie Crites' 2" unequal length jobs. They are okay for a 460 but that's about it. However, when I was building the car back in '98 they were the only off the shelf headers available so I stuck them on the original 514 crate motor and the did okay, I guess.

I'm only allowed 10.0 with my safety equipment and it's gone a 9.90 so there's not point in pursuing it any further.

Good heads and good headers would really wake this thing up....there's still a LOT left in there.

If you're gonna build a stick car, build it STRONG! A big shaft top loader will be fine on a strong street runner, but if you're gonna build a strong 557 (mine is around 760 hp) and try to launch a heavy car on slicks.......hmmmmmm.......maybe, but better be ready for Plan "B".........

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cookie on 8/14/06 9:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
580 Posts
Are you and Stevo having a post a wheelie comp, Greg?
I,d love to see a vid of the Battlestar doing one of those wheels up launches.

I seem to remember about 3-4 years ago your sig was a series of pics, taken from inside the car, of one of those wheels in the air takeoffs.
Cool to say the least.

·
Registered
158 Posts
thanks greg, i haven't ruled out a auto yet, just exploring all my options as far as transmissions go, looking around the neighborhood of 700hp with this one. thanks for the info

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
63 Boxtop,

The stick car would be ultra cool.......sometimes I think about it for my car, but a few years ago when I spent time with the Booze Brothers and their Nostalgia Super Stock Galaxies it was always a thrash to fix broken drive trains.

Those high RPM "drop the hammer" launches are NASTY!

But they were running heads up and needed all they could get. If you are bracket racing you could drop the launch RPM down a bit and save the drive train a lot of stress.

Build some torque into the motor, do a 4 grand launch and let it grunt through low. Once it's under way it's not all that bad as long as you can pull the gears smoothly.

I love stick cars! I don't like fixing cars.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts