Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an old fordracing catalog laying around?
This is what I picked up at an MSD auction on sat.
351W, #'s2,3,&4-4bolt mains, splayed. R cast in front of block and at rear by casting #'s.
Casting # E3ZM-6015-A351.
Havent mic'd the mains or bores yet. Bores appear to be unmachined (no crosshatching pattern)
and freeze plugs have 3 small screws in each hole for retainers? not screw-in freeze plugs.
Might put it to use in my 393W build just in case I need a little extra umph...
Any info is appreciated.
thanks.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I was waiting for the question? I have FMS catalogs going back to 1988. I usually on spend the money for them every 2 years or so, it may only be $5 bucks, but it adds up!

Everything you said about the A351 is right out of the book. Except they are listed under different part numbers. starting with M-6010-x. You might want to check the Ford dealer or call motorsport to confirm, for 100% confidence that the Casting # E3ZM-6015-A351 you have is the same. The closest I found in the 1988 catalog is the M-6010-A351.
9.500" deck height
nodular iron caps
4 bolt on # 2, 3, 4
max bore 4.00 - 4.060" 0.060 over bore (larger need son-ray inspect) new, they came rough bored .017 under-sized, so if its 4.00, it has been bored at least once.
Oil pan rail must be modified for #4 clearence
the kicker...this version has the 2.749 mains (cleveland sized)...std. windsor is 3.000
weight 205.
semi-finished lifter and main bearing (need hone to fit)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 9/13/06 2:08pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Talked to my co/worker this morning... He's a Machinist and has been for over 20 years... Anyhow...
He said if you have Splayed 4 bolt mains someone has already spent over $500 on that engine. You need to mic the bore in order to know if it's been bored or not.
He also said that it is nearly a race motor as it sits.

He also said to check for cracks between the cam bearings and the crank, and check for spun cam bearings, if one has spun there is some costly work to be done.
And to look for any other tell-tale signs of it previously having tossed a rod or broken something.... Look for damage or evidence of damage having been covered/cleaned up.

FE

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will keep an eye out for cracks, etc.. thanks.
Side note My brother was at Travis AFB for most of his career but he was an anchor clanker aircraft logistics for the USS Abe.Linclon.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My wifey poo is the one who got us stationed here... She's NAVY, and I'm an Ex Navy Sea Bee...

FE

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny how that works out. think the Navy would have their own base for those sorts of things.
FRPP said the block was an SVO assembly line block (pre-lighting) that someone added the 4bolt mains to recommended good for 750hp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same block 64Falcon. Mine is exactly as you explained. Mine came from PCHS Racing Engines in Bohemia, New York. Only bad thing is there records don't go back as far as the engine does.(I bought mine complete). I knew the original owner and called PCHS and talked to the builder. (Rich) He couldn't remember any particulars about the engine, but he did remember the owner and sorta put 2&2 together. He also said he built 3 of these engines around the same time. Mine is a 383 (4.030x3.750) aluminum rod, Yates headed, pushing 700hp on motor alone. Chances are you have the foundation to one of these other engines he built. Look them up on the net and maybe they can help.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, block report came back.
Mag was good no cracks
4.020 bore
Mains needed line hone
deck was clean
Now heres the KICKER...
9.2" deck height
2.749" mains
basically its a clevland block but accepts the windsor style front timing cover.
I scored a 9.2 windsor vic jr already
So what else do I have to change from the 9.5" windsor to make it work?
Balancer/ pushrods/ oilpump,shaft/ distributor???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts