Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Ford Ranger 4x4 STX w/ 4.0L and a piece of crap A4LD. Im on my third tranny and i was wondering if there is any upgrades to other trannys that i can put in?? What tranny do 4 wheel drive explorers with the 5.0L have?? I guess im just wondering what would be my best route to take cuz im sick of taking out trannys!!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jade17h on 3/6/02 10:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
413 Posts
Actually they area very good transmission. With a shift kit they are one of the smoothest shifting transmissions out there. I love them. THere are a couple of spots that lead to their failure espically the rebuilt ones. One is the pump alignment if it is not right the trans will fail. Also the molded rubber servo's get hard as a brick as stop working well and there are aftermarket replacments. THen again what can you expect out of a transmission the looks as if it were built from spare parts. But I have has very little problems building long lasting A4LD's. As I said when done right they are one of the best shifting transmissions out there. And if you can built a C4 you can built an A4LD. I don't know of any replacment trans, espically bolting to the 4.0. About the only other thing you could is convert to the mazda 5 speed but that won't be much better because they seem fail just as quick as the automatics. I would fine someone who really knows how to build A4LD's in your area or email me you could drop ship it here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 3/6/02 7:37pm ]</font>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts