Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Im gonna try to give you a hint about what´s happening to my car.

This all started in august 2005, I was looking for a fun project, And then it just turned up, My 1965 Galaxie 500XL.

The car was an already started project, And this car actually has a great history to it..

It was sold new in Stockholm, Sweden, in Januari 1965.
It stayed in traffic until 1978, Then it was put aside, And i dont know for how long it stood before things started to happen, But i have been contacted by people who found out that i had bought the car, And they wanted to share a story that i didn´t know. This particular car has had the almighty 427 SOHC
standing beside it, But if it ever was installed i dont know, And later on both the car and the 427 "cammer" was sold to someone that only was interested in the engine, So the car was sold on once again, To the guy who had it before me, Who was the one to get this part of the project "started" in 2001 , Sadly though the only thing that was good about the car when i got it was the decals, the weels and the fact that the car had very little rust on it, Thanks to that it had been stored inside for so many years..

And now, Since i got the car in my possetion, I decided to try to "bring it back to glory", And do things right.. It will be a long progress, but i am dedicated to get things done.

During this winter alone, Since about october 2005, I´ve been able to do the following:

Got a "brand new" 390" built, An engine that should be able to produce around 450 HP, and a great ammount of torque i hope, And this along with a custom built C6 transmission.

I´ve torn everything from the firewall and forward down, Every little part of the suspension/brakes has been completeley cleaned and painted, Also the frame has recieved the same treatment, (Everything has been "bare metal&quot
, Including the firewall.

I´ve done a disc brake swap from the old drums up front, All the parts were taken from a 1978 Thunderbird, And tie rod ends from a 1970 LTD, Same thing here, everything has been "naked metal", and recieved new paint.

The bottom of the car has been completeley bare scraped, And will get a fresh paint soon. I´ve got the trunk left to finish, It´s on a hold right now..

Right now i am waiting on parts from the US that for some reason has been badley delayed, All shipped by USPS airmail about a month ago.. and it should be a 4-10 day delivery! Things such as radiator, ball joints, etc.. And as long as they dont arrive, I cant put the car back togehter! And my deadline is the first big gathering on may 27th..

This weekend i´m finishing up on some paintwork on the lower parts of the car, Earlier work that i just could not accept how bad it was performed, This was work that was done by the previous owner aswell..
Also this weekend i hope to finish the paint on the inside of the hood that eralier had been painted black for some reason, I want it in white..

Well, I hope i was able to give you a hint about my car and the ongoing project, And as soon as i can, I will keep it updated..

Thank you for reading

//Pontus Andersson, Malmoe, Sweden..

·
Premium Member
34,884 Posts
Very good Progress Pontus!

I for one, can not wait for pictures!

Customs over in Sweeden are getting a bit stiff with Packages, so the wait is going to differ with each parcel, and generally depends on how it was packaged, and who you bought them from , and how they filled out the Customs Declaration for... That's the easiest way to mess up a shipment is to fail to properly fill in the info on the customs form.

FE

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I´m trying my best..

Well i´ve had about 16 packages sent during the winter, everything got here fast and without hassle, It´s just these latest that are giving me a headache, I dont know if it´s some prick at the customs here that´s putting my packages aside, Because i called them up and let them know what i thought about their services when they held a package back in march.. We´ll se what happens next..

·
Registered
372 Posts
Pontus,
That is a good story. Maybe it is true. Does your car tell if it was built with a four speed transmission? Does it have any options? Also, I assume U.S. cars imported were left-hand drive even before 1969.
Lars

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lars, You´re right about the left-hand.

Everything about the car is in fact true, It´s been confirmed by a few people who has seen this car in it´s garage over decades ago, The 427 cammer was present, But the car was never finished with the engine i belive, The car and engine were sold together, And then they went separate ways unfortunatley.

Anyway, The car is coming back together, Slowly i have to say because suddenly me and my girl are expecting a little increase of our family
15th of December is the expected date..

My new 390" is going to be dynoed and tuned in in next week, That´s gonna be something special.. The shop: www.race-shop.com there´s where the magic is going to happen.

Not much, But some

//Andersson..

·
Registered
284 Posts
Nascar replica? Are you replicating the number 11 car? The 11 car won the championship that year. I looked at your dynoshop page but I could only look at the pictures!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Andersson, great to hear about your project. All the way over in Sweden, too! Sweden has something of a "politically correct" reputation, so how does a big, environmentally destructive road monster belching all that cowboy American Vietnam War-era hubris and arrogance go over in your country? LOL. I've always kind of visualized all cars in Sweden governed for a maximum speed of 20 MPH and the "correct" mode of transportation being ice skates on the bottom of handmade wooden shoes. Just kidding.

Strictly speaking, the Nascar replica MUST have a toploader 4spd to be authentic. At the very least mount a"4-on-the- floor" shifter WITHOUT CONSOLE. Use Crite's shifter hump for the '64 as a ring and boot mount for your shifter.

For visual correctness, mount a '65 clutch and brake pedal under the dash. The clutch pedal, of course, would just be for visual authenticity, while you'd use the brake pedal for business.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I´ll try to post a picture, My car is a replica of the #41 car, Curtis Turners late 1965 / Early 1966 Galaxie.

Well the dynoshops page is in Swedish only sadly, I dont know if they ever will have a english version..

Farmallmta, Well you are just about right, Sweden is a "pollitically correct" country, And there are evil eyes staring at us who drive these kind of toys, But we are able to manage
The interest for old American cars and everything around them is growing stronger and bigger for every year over here.. Just look at www.bigmeet.com .

Dont worry, The toploader will find it´s place in this car eventually, As im only 21 there´s lots of time ahead for this project, The whipped up 390" and C6 is just a combo for untill it´s time for a 427" & toploader combo, But those babys dont come cheap..

And is there anyone out there who maybe can host a couple of pics?
I have a few from before i started to make this project into something serious..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2006-06-14 14:51, farmallmta wrote:
OMG! That is an AWESOME meet!

Andersson, I checked out the bigmeet pics... Y'all wail when you rock! All you Galaxie Club members check this out...
http://www.bigmeet.com/2004/pages/Coming%20to%20Power%20camp.htm

I'm convinced. Guys, lets get seriously helping Andersson out here, and maybe he'll invite us all to the next Bigmeet!
Awesome is the word for Bigmeet, It´s amazing to see that it attracts so many people, And from so many countries, It´s the highlight of my year, Every year!

And there´s many more of that girls caliber over on our gatherings..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ventilo, You missed one hell of a Bigmeet this year!

And hey, An update!

Here´s what the gal looked like late last week, Since then i got the new Headers wrapped and mounted, And hopefully everything that´s missing in the pic will be mounted this weekend, Bodyparts etc.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/Anderssonsgalaxie/PICT0009.jpg

Welded up my inner fenders this weekend that passed also, 4 bad ones ended up to be 2 good ones after some cutting and spotwelding!

So hopefully, I´ll get to drive a month or two before it´s time to tear her down again..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, Now it´s almost scary how close i am to start her up after 11 months of silence, This is what she looked like earlier today..

She´s missing lights and bumpers, A hood hinge and the hoos itself right now, The rest is just scrapstuff.

I guess she will be fired up sometime in the upcoming week, And hopefully everything will go smooth, I´ll get back with more as soon as she´s up and running..

//Andersson.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AnderssonsGalaxie on 8/6/06 6:40am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AnderssonsGalaxie on 8/6/06 6:41am ]</font>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey hey!

Well she´s almost, I have to say olmost done, I was about to fire her up yesterday all that was missing was the battery, All oils and fluids where in, But then ofcourse, Murphy visited my garage.. I must have managed to do something bad to my radiator during the time the car has been apart, So after a couple of minutes water and the 30$/Gallon anti-freeze started dripping out of the radiator, Crap i thought and pulled my hair, Will i ever get her out of the garage this year!? Hell yeah i will, Got on the phoned first time this morning and ordered a 500$ radiator, Will be here in 2 days. So, Hopefully ill bring some better news during the upcoming weekend..

·
Registered
201 Posts
LOL, Anderson! Murphy visited mine, too. I'm fixing to order a radiator for my wife's '65 Galaxie. Grrr!

Keep with it! By the way, I'm dining out on the story of this guy in Sweden with a NASCAR '65 Ford and a really hot Blonde chick he's promising to airmail me. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for her to come bounding out of a United Parcel Truck any day now, right?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hah, That murphy is a fast one, Does he have something against the 65 Galaxie perhaps? 2 at the same time..

Oh, The blonde one, Well the thing is.. I think i´ll keep here here, If that´s alright? If you ever visit, Maybe we could arange for a "test drive"?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.